Pine Creek Closure

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Pine Creek Closure

Post by Wild Bill »

I had my wilderness permit pulled today by the USFS. Scheduled to go up Pine Creek on July 20th.
I guess too much water, and damage on trail. It's solid snow still above Honeymoon Lake and all lakes above 10,500' are still frozen in that drainage. An aerial recon today confirmed it. Here's a list of what is still frozen/snow bound:
Chalfant Lakes, Granite Basin, Bear Basin, Lake Italy, Vee Lake, Royce Lakes, all lakes above French Canyon, Humphries Basin. It looks like it will be a while; they aren't even close to thawing.
7 Gables Lakes are ice free.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Pine Creek Closure

Post by cgundersen »

Since the trail crosses Pine creek (repeatedly), I guess they were being proactive; did you have a plan B? How's Mono Pass, snow there should not be a problem. I can recommend Bishop Pass/ Dusy Basin if you're really keen to get into back country. Knapsack Pass if you need to get a bit further away.....
cg
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

I have no "Plan B." Since I carry a fishing pole, that is my #1 concern. It's hard to fish a frozen lake!
I find it incredibly amazing that so many lakes are still frozen solid on July 14th. The trout won't have much time this summer!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Wow!!! Thanks for the intel Bill. It's a crazy snow year indeed and forcing many of us fishing folk to modify our plans. Further south or lower elevations are about it right now. Not much we can do about it eh?

I read somewhere yesterday that the JMT/PCT crossing of Bear Creek (north of Selden Pass) was deemed impassible. They were recommending crossing upstream near Lou Beverly and then heading down slope on the east side of Bear in hopes of being able to cross the east fork. Thats just nuts!!! Ive seen alot of water there, but in mid June not mid July. I had seen a pic of the crossing in June on a PCT'ers blog, and there was water cascading over the log crossing on about June 20th. My understanding is the log bridge has now been swept away.

I will be doing a 5 day/4night trip with my brother on 7/28. Based on some dayhikes I've done and the reports coming in on this board, were shooting low and looking at the Ansel Adams Wilderness out of Clover Meadow and Southern Yosemite. Lots of lakes from ~9,000 to 10,000' in that area. Woodchuck is another option we are considering. And to think our original plan was for the Humpty Basin/French Cyn area in early July. :eek: ](*,) :eek: Oh well, thats why they say to be flexible and have alternatives. Good luck on your quest to find fish. Horton Lake was always one to open a bit earlier over that way.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

It may've been because someone has used a backhoe to widen the trail, which is partly on a mining road. There is an ongoing investigation by the NFS.

I don't know if this is why our water was so dirty! (Right now it is silty light turquiose.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Wild Bill,

I heard that Pine Creek will be closed till next month due to the mine company. Something about the trail gone and they have to fix it. And no tresspassing till it's open. Second hand info.

Hikerchick395,

WOW !!! Boil or filter your water !!!

Don
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

To Don and all other interested:

I heard the Tungsten Mine folks are the reason also. I also heard they are in big trouble over this.
A climber friend told me they caused a massive rock avalanche that blocked access into the canyon.
Yes, it will take a while to clear it.

CG: Plan b materialized; I wanted to go SOMEWHERE! I'm going to take a chance going over Duck Pass. I'm planning on some snow along the way.....I need it for a "frozen concoction that helps me hang on!"

Is there anybody else that takes advantage of the summer snow to concoct an adult beverage? :drinkers:

Wild Bill
Kris
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kris »

Duck pass down into fish valley sounds like a good call,...Im wondering if anyone has any intel on th4e purple lake area (and of course (!) trailrita's, and Sierra sours are always best with snow!) :thumbsup:
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Wild Bill wrote: Is there anybody else that takes advantage of the summer snow to concoct an adult beverage? :drinkers:

Wild Bill
Check out viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the adult bev thing..

I don't think you can effectively filter or boil out what's flowing in Pine creek about now.. I'm betting there's some water testing going on..
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Wild Bill: 151 rum snow and whatever else fits in the cup works great at night. Bailey's is incredible any time of day/night with or without snow.
I'll be keen to hear how the bug situation is evolving and whether you could surf ice flows across Duck?
cg