FLorence lake questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

FLorence lake questions

Post by balzaccom »

Has anyone hike up above Florence Lake yet this year? Just wondering where the snow levels are....and what the river crossings are like.

We've never hiked out of this trailhead, and are looking for a 5-6 day trip over the extended 4th of July weekend.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: FLorence lake questions

Post by oldranger »

Paul,

First issue is when will Kaiser Pass Road open! Still a lot of snow!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

This was posted Tuesday on VVR's facebook page.

Vermilion Valley Resort
Latest on Road: Forest Service to inspect road Thursday, we may be open this weekend, anyway we are open to people who hike, ski, or ATV in.... Fishing from this past weekends quad trip was excellent. Crappy weather equals good fishing, remember that in July & August. See you all soon.
Jim Clement
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Just posted a little while ago:

Vermilion Valley Resort
The ROAD is OPEN! Come on up and see us!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Balzac,

I havent hiked out of Florence this season (Kaiser just opened last Friday), but I have in seasons past. The main stream crossings along the trail from Florence east to the JMT/KCNP should be fine as they are on bridges (Piute Creek and the two crossings of the San Joaquin between Piute Creek and the turn off to Evolution Valley). However, crossing the San Joaquin at Upper Blaney Meadows (or anywhere else for that matter) to reach the Hot Springs/warm lake on the south side of the river near the Muir Trail Ranch would be difficult at the least if not down right dangerous. I have been there in July of an average snow year and choose not to cross due to the high water. Not saying it couldnt have been done, as others had and had even strung a rope across the river as a guide. I just wasnt comfortable with the crossing and decided against it. There might be a better ford on the Muir Trail Ranch property, but never having been a guest there I cant say if there is or not.

Smaller creeks like Senger and Sally Keyes Creeks along the way will be high and more difficult than usual, but they shouldnt be impassable, just a little wetter than during dryer years. I will admit I dont know about the 1st crossing of the San Joaquin right above Florence as I have never hiked that part of the trail. All of my hikes out of Florence began at the eastern side of the lake as I took the ferry across the lake so I missed that crossing, but I beleive there is a bridge there as well. I would normally say the ferry will be running by July 4th, but this is not the typical year.

It looks like I may be in the general Florence Lake area just about a week earlier than you (6/24 - 6/28). If so I will post a conditions report.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago I missed the ferry on the way back from a trip so hiked the trail on the south side of the lake. It was late season - I had to wade but do not recall it difficult. But that was in Sept. I would take the ferry to be sure you do not get stranded. The south side trail also goes over a buttress and has a surprising amount of ups and downs. There is a footbridge over the San Joaquin. The wading is a bit farther west on an unnamed stream. It could be swampy between the creeks.

The year I did this trip the day before I took the ferry across, a woman had slipped on a rock near the bridge over Piute Creek and drown. I was particularly careful getting water!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Years ago I missed the ferry on the way back from a trip so hiked the trail on the south side of the lake. It was late season - I had to wade but do not recall it difficult. But that was in Sept. I would take the ferry to be sure you do not get stranded. The south side trail also goes over a buttress and has a surprising amount of ups and downs. There is a footbridge over the San Joaquin. The wading is a bit farther west on an unnamed stream. It could be swampy between the creeks.

The year I did this trip the day before I took the ferry across, a woman had slipped on a rock near the bridge over Piute Creek and drown. I was particularly careful getting water!
I think Boulder Creek is the stream you're thinking of; it's a little ways west of the bridge over the South Fork. I've waded it a few times, but you're right--it could be pretty difficult early season this year. It has a pretty sizable watershed (from Mt. Shinn to Dutch Oven Meadow), so on a warm day you're gonna see a lot of water funneled through there. (Or it could just turn that whole lowland into a swamp. Either way, best avoided.)

Anyway, balzaccom, you should be fine as long as you stay low--e.g., Piute or Goddard Canyon. No bridge over Evolution Creek; I wouldn't even try crossing it this time this year.
kanklekiller
Topix Newbie

Post by kanklekiller »

Whooo-saw! A small group of us, at least two, probably four, maybe 5 will be heading up to Florence, with the hope of finding enough ground to walk on to make our way to Dutch/Hidden lakes on friday. Assuming i return alive, as I'm very sensitive to the cold, I will post an update for ya.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Hey Kankle! Please do post a TR for that trip. That is one of a couple hikes in the general area that my brother and I are considering for the following week (6/24). I would love to know what kind of conditions you find.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

I'll be in the MTR vicinity next weekend (via Florence).
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix