Cassidy Bridge and beyond: I need info!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cassidy Bridge and beyond: I need info!

Post by Flamingo »

Has anyone hiked across the Middle Fork San Joaquin River---from McCreary trailhead down to the Cassidy Bridge, and then up towards Pincushion Peak? From Pincushion, I'm hoping to drop into Fish Creek Valley and visit Iva Bell hot springs. Unfortunately, the interwebs contain virtually no information about the trails from McCreary TH and Fish Creek. The best (and virtually only) thing I've found is Bob Burd's report about McCreary to Balloon Dome (http://www.snwburd.com/bob/comments/balloon_dome_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Does anyone know if this trail has been maintained in the last decade? Do you have old photos of this area?

I want to visit this area as an early-season warm up trek during the second week in June. I suspect the road to Red's Meadow will still be snowbound at that time, which seems like the perfect opportunity to visit Iva Bell before the summer crowds arrive. I appreciate any tips and info. Thanks.
sli
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Cassidy Bridge and beyond: I need info!

Post by sli »

Cassidy has its own trailhead off FS RD 5S30 (toward Glover Meadow RS). Turnoff is posted. High clearance vehicle is helpful. We stopped just short of the trailhead with our regular car. Trail is well maintained. I don’t know its condition beyond Cassidy Bridge.
Bandito
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Cassidy Bridge and beyond: I need info!

Post by Bandito »

When are you planning on heading uo that way?

I'm looking at a few wilderness destinations for Memorial Day and this was one of them. If yo ugo before then I'm interested in what the snow pack and trail looks like.