Ansel Adams Wilderness - Lillian Lake in late May, early Jun

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nwgarner
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Ansel Adams Wilderness - Lillian Lake in late May, early Jun

Post by nwgarner »

Hello,
I'm planning a trip in Ansel Adams Wilderness at the end of May. This will be my earliest in the season trip to the Sierra's and want to be prepared. We'll be around 9'000 feet, Fernandez trailhead to Lillian Lake. I'm curious what kind of weather we'll be seeing. Still snow on the ground? Daytime temps? Any roaring streams we'll need to cross?

Thank you for any help you can provide,
Nick
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Ansel Adams Wilderness - Lillian Lake in late May, early Jun

Post by oldranger »

nw

Nobody knows what the weather will be! It could be hot and sunny or a foot of snow could fall. If the road to the trailhead is open, given the amount of snow this year I'm sure you will confront a fair amount of snow on the ground. The good news is that if there is 80% snow cover or so you will beat the mosquitos. Right now that is not a trip that I would plan on and I would wait until the snow survey data for May 1 before I would seriously consider Lillian in late May. This is really a trip that could be a last minute decision to go. As I recall there is one stream crossing, not a huge drainage above but something to consider.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
nwgarner
Topix Novice

Post by nwgarner »

Thank you for your reply, Mike.

Are these the snow survey's you're referring to?
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES.05

Thanks again,
Nick
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Nick,

Yes that is the right one, closest station is Cora Lakes with code of CRA. April 1 survey indicated a little over 120% of normal. Cora is at 8,400 feet. By the way for a quick and dirty comparison of snow years I often look at the historical data from Mammoth Mt. Ski Area. The site is called "my mammoth" and they provide monthly and yearly snowfall totals over a bunch of years. Mammoth tends to get more snow than most of the Sierra but you can use it to get a feeling for snowfall relative to past years for the central sierra. So I typically look at mammoth snowfall and compare it with different years and where I hiked at and what time of the year to make extrapolations to what snow conditions are likely to be. Of course as you go further north or south your estimates are likely to be a little more off but then you can use the snow survey data for sites near the area you are interested in.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!