Ice Skate the Range of Light

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Ice Skate the Range of Light

Post by John Dittli »

The Ice is in. Not really hiking, but not exactly winter either. More skate pics at http://dittli.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EG7kLjpzsM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Dittli on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Ice Skate the Range of Light

Post by The Other Tom »

Great pics ! Thanks for posting.
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

This is awesome. I never considered merging two of my favorite hobbies, but I might just have to bring my hockey gear next time I go backpacking. When is the best time to skate?
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

When it's a late snow year, there's often ice skating at Ostrander Ski Hut in Yosemite. We keep about 15 pair of ice skates in the basement for people to use. Also very cool to hear the ice boom back and forth with wind.

To extend the ice skating season there, Howard will often shovel out a lane of snow down to the ice if the snow fall wasn't too much.

g.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hi George

I put some captions on the photos.
trav867 wrote:This is awesome. I never considered merging two of my favorite hobbies, but I might just have to bring my hockey gear next time I go backpacking. When is the best time to skate?
Right Now! Usually November and December, but it really depends on snow. Once the ice gets snow on it it's over (unless someone keeps it clear). Some years they all freeze up with the first snow and the ice never really happens. This year some of the smaller higher lakes froze early and now have snow while others are still open water.

Headed in to skate the Humphrey's Basin circuit tomorrow.

JD
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Hey John!

Looks like you've been out having fun... . A few years ago, I gave Howard a pair of ice picks on a string that make them quickly available should you go through the ice.

Not sure anyone's ever skated on any of those lakes. It was 0 deg. the day we left (about 10/8) so I figured they weren't too far from starting to freeze. In '77 a bunch of us were skating at Tenaya and Ellery, I think as late as January 1st (well, ok, I wasn't skating, but was a keen observer!).

Your book looks great -- saving up my pennies... .

g.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Ya George, when I saw that pic of Randy skating Tenaya I was green with envy...

JD
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Yes, that was the very trip. I've got some more around here somewhere. Looks like you easily surpassed that.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

gdurkee wrote: A few years ago, I gave Howard a pair of ice picks on a string that make them quickly available should you go through the ice.
g.

Ever tested that "go through the ice" thing in the backcountry? Sounds cold and scary, given where you are.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Never tested it in the backcountry, but in the front country. We carry the ice picks George mentioned as well as short coils of rope. Back on shore we have full changes of warm clothing and maybe overnight gear depending on the trip.

Best advice is not to "go in".

Here is a link to a short article on the subject http://www.theeastsidemag.com/index/200 ... n-ice.html

Spent all day yesterday skating the lakes of Humphery's Basin. I'll try to get photos and video up soon!

JD