Welcome Obiwan Canoli

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Welcome Obiwan Canoli

Post by Ozark Flip »

There's a blast from the past!

Obi has been trying to get in touch with Sierra Mel. Any HST folks ever hike with her? Anyone know any recent contact info for her? It was three years ago the last time I hiked with her and all contact info I have is no longer valid. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Flip
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Re: Welcome Obiwan Canoli

Post by obiwan canoli »

Thanks, Flip, for posting this... and thanks for the welcome, too...

I've been hoping to find a BP forum that stuck to its theme, and appreciate your inviting me to walk - nay, HIKE - in the door.

And yes, I've been wondering about my old friend Mel... when I first began to take interest in the backcountry, Mel was one of my first contacts - don't remember how that happened - when I was seeking information on hiking the JMT. She was instrumental in providing a huge amount of information which perhaps saved me a couple of years of experiance on the trail.

There's a longer story, of course, but I lost track of Mel many years ago, and was simply trying to reconnect. Sure do appreciate anyone with current info. - THANKS!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Welcome, obiwan!

That name sounds really familiar. Wrote a backcountry cook book, right? I think she registered an account here a few years back before the forums were hacked. I don't have the old database anymore to look up the email address, but I was able to do a quick search of the Interweb and found the following:

EDIT: Content deleted for privacy reasons...

Hope it's useful.

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Thanks Eric. That's the same info I had except for the Atwater (wierd) address and the facebook account. She used to have a regular internet site and yes produced a highcountry cook book. My plan was to contact John and go from there. Last word I heard she was living in SoCal. Thanks again.

Flip
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Ozark Flip wrote:Thanks Eric. That's the same info I had except for the Atwater (wierd) address and the facebook account. She used to have a regular internet site and yes produced a highcountry cook book. My plan was to contact John and go from there. Last word I heard she was living in SoCal. Thanks again.

Flip
...and I live in Atwater. :-k

Haven't seen her personally in about 6-7 years.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Welcome.:) Over on TT too, right? One of the other sides.
Piece of cake.
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

Yessir, hikerduane... Seems I'm diving back in, immersing myself, as it were, and seeking all manner of info., friendship, comradeship, companionship, stewardship, and most any other ships that said the backcountry. So to speak.

I ran across those addy's too, but I'm betting nothing gets forwarded any more... best bet is Flip's contact with John, if it be so... got me wondering though... are they not still together?
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Obi Wan! Sweetheart!
Just saw Flip and he said you were looking for me. John and I are back at the house in Crowley Lake.
I had to take some time off the trail for health reasons but I was back out again for a limited time this summer. I"ve been thinking about you and a few others from the TT days.
Let me know where you are and how your hiking schedule has been the last few.
Mel
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

MEL!!!!

Hiya Sweetie!

Got an email from Flip today with all your particulars... nice to re-connect, in fact, it's great. Missed you a lot, and hope your sabbatical was both therapeutic and energizing.

Got your number, gonna call you soon!

Love Ya, OWC
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

Hi, Mel! Again!

It was great to chat with you and John this past week, you sound great. Glad to know you're on the mend, and things are looking up!

I think we need to consider a hike next year, if you're up to it. We'll call it Reunionpalooza! see if we can maybe get a few friends from past hikes in on the deal, whadya think?

I'll see what interest I can stir up, and get back with you soon, OK?

Hope you and John are enjoying your Fall Season. Look forward to seeing you soon!

MJ