Sierra Nevada Threatened by Clearcutting

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ENabors
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sierra Nevada Threatened by Clearcutting

Post by ENabors »

I'm worried about our Sierra Nevada. It's such a crucial part of life here in California- with 60% of our drinking water coming from there and 1/2 our plants and animals living there.

But a timber company called Sierra Pacific Industries is clearcutting the Sierra at alarming rates. They've already clearcut hundreds of thousands of acres and have plans to clearcut over a million more.

We have to stop this!

We have to tell people about what SPI is planning to do, and get involved in the campaign to stop them!

ForestEthics, and enviornmental group that works to protect endangered forests around the world, is holding a kick-off meeting in Sacramento on Wednesday, September 12 at 6:30 and everyone should come! It will discuss what SPI is doing, and what we can do to change their practices so we have a Sierra Nevada in the future.

The meeting will be at the Sierra 2 Center (Room 12), 2791 24th Street in Sacramento. Everyone should come, bring your friends, and take part in the movement to protect what we love so much.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I heard Red was pulling out of CA. I also heard he was going to pull out of his mills in the mountains and utilize his mills along the I-5 corridor. Where is the clear cutting going on at? There are not many timber sales anymore, the Sierra Club and other environmentalists have shut the woods down pretty good. If he is clear cutting, it would have to be on his property. If the Forest Service is selling timber on public lands and clear cutting is required, how is it SPI's fault? Some areas do need clear cutting, depends. Have you been up here, have you seen for yourself where logging has gone on? Do environmentalist groups show you what they want you to see? The Sac Bee I believe it was ran a photo of a lightning caused burn area from along 395 north of Hwy 70 quite a few years ago and captioned it as an clear cut by loggers. That is the kind of info that goes out to people that will believe it. Just what we need more of, city folk telling us how to live up here. You have screwed up your own place along with the environmentalists back east, now you want to tell us what to do here. I have bped since the mid 70's and there are some areas that shouldn't be logged. Most are wilderness now.

Everyone can help by sending money to schools in formerly timber dependent counties through out the country. Our schools in Plumas
County have gone from 4000 students down to 2600 now I believe something in the paper a few weeks ago. Our economy is hurting up here. Populations have gone down, they can collect unemployment for so long before they have to move to where jobs are.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

hikerduane is correct.

Under certain conditions clearcutting is the environmentally best way to manage forests. Many areas of the Sierra Nevada mixed conifer forests are under those conditions. Too many decades of politically-correct (but ecologically incorrect) individual tree selection harvesting, which is contra-indicated in many of the Sierra forest types. So we have an unhealthy mess that now requires clearcutting to repair.

Of course, the sierra club labels any harvest method 'clearcutting', using the public misunderstanding of different harvest methods as a propaganda tool.

SPI is more aggressive in their forest management practices than many companies, but I do not have any problem with the way they manage their lands. Other companies and public agencies all manage their lands differently, and the result is a mosaic of different forest compositions and conditions, and intensities of management. This maximizes biodiversity, forest health, and ecological resiliency on a Sierra-wide scale.

There is something of an old joke in the forest business:

Q. What do you call an environmentalist that actually learns something about silviculture, ecology, and wildlife biology?

A. A born-again logger.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

DELETED by Admin
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I went off a little with someone who may only post once, but my thoughts too about the sky is falling, the sky is falling. Thanks Dave. How is the smoke? A few of us may do a trip into the Caribou Wilderness 15,16.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Forecast is wind turning back to N/NE for a few days so it will drift back to Indian and American valleys.

Next weekend is too far in the future for my crystal ball.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thanks. Maybe will all the resources getting thrown at it, they can make short work of it.
Piece of cake.
huts

Post by huts »

DELETED by Admin
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Time to lock this one down.

Let's keep things civil, please. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix