Suggestions for 2 night backpacking from Lodgepole in Sequoia

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kbrown
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Suggestions for 2 night backpacking from Lodgepole in Sequoia

Post by Kbrown »

Hi! I am looking for suggestions on an itinerary for a 2 night backpacking trip. I am hoping to leave from the Lodgepole area and to go to Pear Lake and possibly Mehrten Meadow??? I just am having trouble on their site figuring out a plan for a 2 night trip! Thank you!!!

More info on our ability below

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable with?

- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country I think? I have hiked Rim 2 Rim if that helps anything.

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

When is your trip?
Oct 15-18

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
3 days 2 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
10-12

Also, please start your own thread instead of piggybacking on an existing thread.This will avoid any unnecessary confusion that could happen if the OP believes that other members are posting suggestions to original thread, but they are really posting answers to the piggy-backers questions. This is especially important to keep in mind when it comes to trip requests, but should be really avoided in all cases.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.

balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Suggestions for 2 night backpacking from Lodgepole in Sequoia

Post by balzaccom »

Why not hike to twin lakes. camp at Ranger Lake---amazing views of the whole Sierra Crest--and then return via Seville and Camp at Jennie lake. then back to the trailhead.

We've done this loop from the other side, and I think it meets all your criteria...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

balzaccom wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:27 pm Why not hike to twin lakes. camp at Ranger Lake---amazing views of the whole Sierra Crest--and then return via Seville and Camp at Jennie lake. then back to the trailhead.

We've done this loop from the other side, and I think it meets all your criteria...
This is the probably the best two night on-trail route you can do out of Lodgepole. It'll take you by many lakes, many of which are as good as it gets. Ranger Lake is an awesome place to camp, as is Lost Lake a little further down the line. It's worth taking the short spur trails to all the lakes just off the main loop. Also, in October it's pretty rare to see anyone else in that area. The only drawback for some is that it's mostly forested, although you do get some pretty sweeping views from Silliman Pass and Ranger Lake.

If you have your heart set on Pear Lake, there's plenty of ways to make a nice three day trip of it. Depending on your comfort with x-country, you could do a loop by spending your first night at Pear, then going to Alta Meadow via Moose Lake on your second night. The route to Moose Lake can be a little tricky, but from Moose to Alta Meadow is pretty straight forward (there's an abandoned trail you can follow for the latter half). This route will take you by Mehrten Meadow, although it's not a super memorable meadow. Alta Meadow, on the other hand, might be the single prettiest meadow in the Sierra.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

That's a location where I'd prefer to basecamp at pear or emerald and then head up to alta and/or tablelands without a pack. It's nice to have the pit toilet and bear box. I don't mind being around other people for that kind of a trip, and I don't mind hauling in some beverages for that distance. If you have done rim-to-rim, you could put together a cool off-trail day hike loop from emerald to hit alta at sunrise and then work your way over to the tablelands and then back down to emerald via pear. you could do the same loop from pear too with a little backtracking.
Kbrown
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Kbrown »

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! I'm mapping it out now and this so helps!!!
owen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by owen »

The air hasn't been great there. Check before you go: https://twitter.com/SequoiaKingsAir
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

owen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 pm The air hasn't been great there. Check before you go: https://twitter.com/SequoiaKingsAir
Yeah, but at least this is outside the quota period. So you can reasonably wait until the night before, and if you get a clean air window, do a 1-2 night trip. I've seen folks visit Alta peak in the past couple days and get crap air and no views, and also the opposite on Deerhorn/Twin Peaks. All depends on how the wind is blowing.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.