Snow Lakes via Fourth Recess Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lambec
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snow Lakes via Fourth Recess Lake?

Post by Lambec »

I've been scouring a little bit for info on this, but I'm not coming up with much.

Might someone be able to chime in on this?

I was curious about going from Fourth Recess Lake to Snow Lakes, up and over the Third Fourth Divide, and back down and out Third Recess Lake.

As I study the topos everything South and South East doesn't seem realistic to me. Possible skirting up the South West side seems possible via topos.

Basically looking for any experience hitting Snow Lakes via Fourth Recess Lake and up and over the Third Fourth Divide.

Thanks!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Re: Snow Lakes via Fourth Recess Lake?

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Week 13 of Rogue Photonic's 2012 trip has some info: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8672&p=105501

The descent to Fourth Recess lake sounds very challenging.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Lambec
Topix Novice

Post by Lambec »

Oooo thanks for that find. I didn't find that thread yet. I found another one with pictures point up at the wall.

I had already decided I'd avoid the wall. Wasn't on my goals, but skirting the South West below the ridgeline was looking possible on topos. Tiring, but possible.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Lambec,
OK, this is from an early season trip maybe 20 years ago, I day hiked from the southern end of 3rd recess up to the Snow Lakes and went down a bit from there to try to scope out a possible traverse along the west wall to get down to 4th recess. It did not look terribly inviting, but I did not get up close and personal, so often that changes the assessment. At the same time, I have looked longingly at the south wall of 4th recess without finding a route that looked within my skill set. Rogue certainly did things I'd be reluctant to do; and kudos to Carne for pulling out that info! Cameron
Lambec
Topix Novice

Post by Lambec »

I appreciate the info guys! It has helped my research. I feel an approach could possibly be done going from Fourth Recess Lake to Snow Lakes by sticking to the West and skirting below the ridgeline where the majority of the slope angle is manageable.

But I'll also have additional people with me, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and avoid this approach. The week 13 read of Rogue Photonic's descent came off as very nerve racking. That is not a route I would have ever considered.

Again, thanks for the info!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Have looked at this in the past too. Note Lambec's map vertical lines have been DEM reinterpreted from the original USGS 7.5' topo that makes some of the 8 chutes on that face appear less steep at choke points. All the GE historical date images show the 8 north facing chutes as either too full of snow or too shadowy to see detail. The wiser approach is to not use any of them as most non-map by eyeball person's would tend to do and instead as Lambec's line shows, moves around to the vegetated west slopes.

However looking at GE shows there are steep slabs, mini cliffs, and steep scree to be avoided when carrying a weighty pack. After looking at GE, here is a way down that doesn't require continuing out as far north allowing one to reach the west shore at mid lake. The scree crux is shown in image 2. My line is across where larger rocks have come to rest in the slide path, an indication of a more stable underlying bedrock angle. The final obstacle is down climbing that vegetation or shadowed gully with the former rather certain given some rope to play with a pack while being a monkey grabbing branches. After that it is a straightforward traverse with some bushwhacking. Also note there is a questionable angled bedrock slab zone to negotiate if instead one continues that shows in image 3 just beyond the gully/veg drop. In any case look at GE views carefully.

4th-Recess1.jpg
4th-Recess2.jpg
4th-Recess3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lambec
Topix Novice

Post by Lambec »

Well, total side derailment here, as of July 25th it looks pretty snow free :) according to satellite imagery.

RollingTree
Topix Novice

Post by RollingTree »

A very thorough video of what looks like a good route on the aforementioned W side of 4th Recess Lake (high up the slope) up to Snow Lakes.
By Matt Yaussi. RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlP85J9 ... ex=34&t=3s
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Video showed very little of the crux areas that was a day hike that apparently did not reach Snow Lakes just 11100. Early season for such high areas but 2015 was a very droughty winter. Bad time for mosquitoes haha. Surprised they brought dogs through such a route that reflects talus was never large and the crux was modest.
RollingTree
Topix Novice

Post by RollingTree »

I gathered from looking at maps that the last bit to Snow Lakes not covered in the video was relatively easier/minor, so not of particular concern, but I have no first hand experience, so maybe as you imply that last half mile to Snow Lakes not covered is harder than a map suggests/than I thought.