The thin green rock veins in the Sierra

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
CAMERONM
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

The thin green rock veins in the Sierra

Post by CAMERONM » Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Over the years I have noticed a thin green vein of rock, usually only about 1/8", in many places in the Sierra, usually at higher altitudes. Sometimes you see the vein over a few feet, but never as long as the long and wider white ones. Oftentimes the rock shears off to expose it as a green face, and it can be picked off fairly easily. It is distinctly different from all the other geological phenomena by how thin it is, by its color, how it seems to be less strong than the surrounding rock, and how it looks more "organic". What could it be? Some brief period where everything green died? I attach some photos.
IMG_7154.JPG
IMG_7156.JPG
IMG_7179.JPG
IMG_7181.JPG
IMG_7186.JPG
You must be registered and logged in to view the files/photos attached to this post.

wildhiker
Topix Expert

Re: The thin green rock veins in the Sierra

Post by wildhiker » Wed May 13, 2020 10:58 pm

Look like epidote veins to me. See: https://geology.com/minerals/epidote.shtml
-Phil

bobby49
Topix Expert

Re: The thin green rock veins in the Sierra

Post by bobby49 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:31 pm

I agree. That thin slab of green was what many of the old gold prospectors were looking for since they felt the green led to proper conditions for gold.