Cottonwood Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BMTC1976
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Cottonwood Lakes

Post by BMTC1976 »

Planning a trip to Cottonwood Lakes for a few days in July. Looking to get to Mt. Langley and Cirque Pk. I hope to get my first Golden trout. If you were to make a base camp in the Basin, where would you camp at? Thanks
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I'd camp just under Old Army Pass at the Lakes 4 & 5 or if you want more tree cover then down at Lake 3.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

My preference is High Lake, which is the last lake on the trail before New Army Pass. This tends to get less use than many of the lakes of the basin (and there are lots of good spots to camp where you can hide away), plus it sets you up very nicely to do Langley and Cirque (can do them both in a day no sweat from there). The golden fishing is very reliable in High; they run to about 12". Long Lake, just downstream is not bad, either (about the same size range).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TriHard
Topix Novice

Post by TriHard »

I was there the weekend of 6/23 - 6/24 and stayed at lake #5, its was a great trip! If you want to see some photos...

http://kenwonderly.com/Cottonwood%20Lak ... 24-07.html

Enjoy your trip, the basin is wonderful,

Ken
Starting over, half way through!
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

Muir Lake. It is signed but trail becomes indistinct. Just follow drainage from lake up to it. It is a bit out of the way, but all lakes are accessible and it is wind sheltered.

If you follow Muir Lake drainage out you will find a use trail that skirts the median just between the meadow and woods above the lakes as you head toward Lake 4/5. Stay near the woods up and away from the damp meadow below, until you are abeam 4/5 and then cross along a contour to the lower lake.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

GB and I have similar tastes. High Lake would be my first choice too. It has more of an alpine feel.