Wilderness permits in late May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Btaim
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Wilderness permits in late May

Post by Btaim »

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that the national forest service is not going to provide overnight permitting in many national forests and wilderness regions throughout the Sierra for the rest of May. I was hoping for a late May hike (two nights) at Kennedy Meadows, or lower down if there's still snow by then. Due to that likely not happening, I was thinking of heading over to the Trinity Alps. I apologize if this is off topic because it's not the High Sierra, but does anyone know if the Shasta-Trinity NF is giving permits out? Website doesn't mention whether or not it is, just mentions the usual 'developed recreation area' closure through May 15th.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wilderness permits in late May

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Do you mean Kennedy Meadows north? (West of Sonora Pass).
Btaim
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Btaim »

Yes, west of Sonora Pass on hwy 108.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If backpack permits remain unavailable, another plan is to disperse camp near Kennedy Meadow and day-hike. You can get to Kennedy Lake in a long day. Relief Reservoir shorter hike, but very nice. I expect Sonora Pass will be open. There are nice dispersed campsites east of the pass. The PCT both north and south of Sonora Pass are quite nice for day-hikes. The trail south holds snow so you should have traction and trekking poles and be prepared for snow. You can also day-hike out of Levite Meadows. Probably quite a bit of snow on Sonora Pass, even after they open the road.

Late May is actually a bit early for Trinity Alps, even if you could get permits. Unless you go west to the lower elevation trailheads.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

A couple of years ago there were no quotas and help-yourself permits in the Trinity Alps. It was, frankly, ridiculous. The Stuart Fork on the 4th of July filled up its trailhead and was crawling with people, but anyone could just show up at the sign in front of the station in Weaverville and write themselves a permit.

I have no idea if that practice has changed due to social-distancing or even just responsible management. Just call the station and see what they say. Hopefully someone is answering the phones.