McKinley Grove Road Open

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

McKinley Grove Road Open

Post by Snowtrout »

Just thought I would pass on that the McKinley Grove road opened on May 1. Was up there over the weekend and already people have heard as the roads were busy, people out and camping wherever they could find a spot since all of the campgrounds.

Snow is melting fast (water from the Kings flowing into Wishon was moving) and snow level looks to be above 7500'. After the heat wave next week, I would expect the road to Courtright to open in the next 2-3 weeks.
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

Re: McKinley Grove Road Open

Post by kdemtchouk »

How far is the road open? Is it open all the way to some of the trailheads past Wishon (Woodchuck, Crown Valley)?
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

I didn't go across the dam but I have never seen a gate on the main roads to the trailheads.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Last year I was up there soon after the road was open, and could drive across the Wishon dam, but that was it. Snow was piled up right past the little parking area on the east end of the dam. I think there was a gate there also, but even with no gate you weren't going to drive past that pile on anything other than an ATV or snowmobile. Probably less snow this year, but if indeed there is a gate there it might be closed.
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

Post by kdemtchouk »

Thanks, everyone! Headed up there tomorrow, will report back what I find.
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Any updates on how far you can drive? Wishon? Courtwright?

Thanks!
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

Post by kdemtchouk »

I was able to drive to Wishon and all the way to the Crown Valley trailhead. I didn’t try to go in the direction of Courtright, but did see cars turning onto the road to go there.