Question: Descending into Tehipite from Crown Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
baybackpacker
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Question: Descending into Tehipite from Crown Valley

Post by baybackpacker »

Hey all! I'm new here - got referred over at backcountrypost. I'm a relatively inexperienced 22 year old, in good shape and looking to do some backpacking in the high Sierra!

I've done some backpacking in the San Juans of SW Colorado and in the Northern Cascades, but always in large-ish groups.

I'm thinking about going to Tehipite Valley sometime in early June with a family member. He hasn't been but is very experienced in the sierra backcountry so it seems like a good opportunity (it definitely doesn't seem like a place for beginners) and I've heard amazing things - plus the pictures of the area look spectacular. As I said, I am in good shape so that's not an issue, but I have one main concern: the descent from Crown Valley to the rim of Tehipite and down into the valley. I understand there's some pretty gnarly and steep switchbacks. I had ACL reconstruction surgery 10 months ago, and while I've regained most of my strength, really steep downhills are a little sketchy for me, at least psychologically. If I go to TV as planned in early June, it will have been about 11.5 months since surgery and I will be sure to continue getting stronger in the interim.

So my question is basically just how steep and difficult is the descent? There's a good chance I will err on the side of caution and pick another nearby area (maybe north fork kings) to spend some time in, but I just wanted to get a sense of how hard/steep/difficult/risky that descent is in case I can make it work. Any feedback or related advice is greatly appreciated!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question: Descending into Tehipite from Crown Valley

Post by bobby49 »

Uhhh, I am no physician, but it sounds like you are skating out onto thin ice there. That descent into the valley is often stressful for people with completely normal knees. It's not a very forgiving location if you suddenly have a knee problem. You know, it would be a lot smarter to find a more moderate location. If you find a moderate trail somewhere else, you might be able to actually enjoy the trip.

For what it's worth, when I was younger I would have been tempted to do the same sort of thing. About 35 years ago, I destroyed my right knee ligaments, except that the surgeons did not try to reconstruct anything at the ACL. At the time, my orthopedic surgeon told me to let the rehab continue at a very slow methodical pace. If I didn't, then I would be likely to have lots of serious knee problems at an older age.
bodell82
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by bodell82 »

I did those switchbacks down into Tehipite in 2016 and found it not nearly as bad as advertised. It's definitely an unrelenting steep downhill, but it's all very much class 1 and (at least that year) the trail was in good enough condition that there was no risk of falling or getting lost. My hiking buddy and I flew down and made it to the bottom in about 90 minutes. BUT I've never had knee issues. The thing is if you get to the bottom and your knee is blasted you're going to be very screwed, since the trip back up is a slogggg and would likely turn into a SAR event if you had significant knee pain. It took us almost 4 hours of steady marching to go back up. It sounds like you're in plenty good enough shape to handle it but I would wait another year or so to make sure your knee is healed enough. Once there's no stress about your health, Tehipite is an amazing adventure and definitely worth doing.

If you're thinking about the North Fork Kings out of Courtright that's a beautiful area and exponentially easier on the knees than Tehipite would be.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

I did this as a day hike from Hay Meadow, out and back, in 1990. as per bodell82, sustained, relentless downhill x 3500', on a trail with switchbacks. remember it as a test of strength and stamina, not particularly on my knees, with torn meniscus 10 years earlier. I believe the trail has suffered degradation from fire and spotty maintenance in recent years.

but why the hurry? my daughter had ACL tear x 2 playing basketball in high school, I have a little secondhand familiarity. Tehipite will be there when you're 23 ,24, 25, etc. I did this at 40, as you will likely be able. the location is remote, and if your knee buckles, you might be in for a nasty fall on this steep route. plenty of front country challenges, with foot traffic and help, to test your knee in stages. agree with bodell82 about Courtright.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Early June? The trailhead may not even be open. I don't know if there has been any trail maintenance from the turnoff at Crown Valley to the rim. If not, there will be a lot of deadfall to deal with as well. That can be just as brutal as the down climb from the rim.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Why would you want to go to Tehipite in early June? Sounds hot as hell, and the Kings would be effin' raging (swimming, fishing, crossing probably not happening). I guess the waterfalls would be good?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Early June? Isn't that Tehipite rattlesnake season?
baybackpacker
Topix Newbie

Post by baybackpacker »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:29 pm Why would you want to go to Tehipite in early June? Sounds hot as hell, and the Kings would be effin' raging (swimming, fishing, crossing probably not happening). I guess the waterfalls would be good?
yeah I mean based on these responses and some more thinking about it I'll probably head somewhere else, maybe near courtright. timing is just because it's only time I'll get a big chunk of my schedule open to travel for awhile... (gap between graduating college and starting full time work)
baybackpacker
Topix Newbie

Post by baybackpacker »

mkbgdns wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:35 pm I did this as a day hike from Hay Meadow, out and back, in 1990. as per bodell82, sustained, relentless downhill x 3500', on a trail with switchbacks. remember it as a test of strength and stamina, not particularly on my knees, with torn meniscus 10 years earlier. I believe the trail has suffered degradation from fire and spotty maintenance in recent years.

but why the hurry? my daughter had ACL tear x 2 playing basketball in high school, I have a little secondhand familiarity. Tehipite will be there when you're 23 ,24, 25, etc. I did this at 40, as you will likely be able. the location is remote, and if your knee buckles, you might be in for a nasty fall on this steep route. plenty of front country challenges, with foot traffic and help, to test your knee in stages. agree with bodell82 about Courtright.
yeah this line of thinking is winning me over... no reason to risk permanent damage and even potential SAR situation when I'll have plenty of opportunities to visit TV in the future. will probably spend a week or so farther backpacking farther north, near courtright perhaps
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

See my post of TV trip last yr. The switchbacks are knee pounders, you will be punished. Saw two rattlers next to Crown Ck. near MF trail crossing.