Possible Snow Next Week

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Posts: 10589
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Possible Snow Next Week

Post by maverick » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:31 pm

A very impressive cold fall-like trough will dig south in the EPAC by Sunday into NORCAL from the Gulf of Alaska. The system is moisture starved and will bring light precipitation to the higher elevations of the Sierra with a few showers possible mainly north of Tulare County Monday night and Tuesday morning. Snow levels will start out around 9500 feet and lower to around 8500 feet before ending Tuesday morning. A light dusting to up to around 2
inches is possible above 9000 feet in Yosemite NP.
Be prepare, if your heading out this weekend into next week! :)

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

User avatar
Topix Regular
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Experience: Level 1 Hiker
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by c9h13no3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Plus crazy wind chill. Here's the forecast for Lyell Canyon.

Monday A 20 percent chance of snow after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. Very windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 35 mph increasing to 35 to 45 mph in the afternoon.
Monday Night A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 40 mph decreasing to 20 to 30 mph after midnight.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

User avatar
Topix Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by capturel1ght » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi, fairly new to this forum. I'm just wondering how accurate the weather.gov localized reports are. I'm currently planning a loop through Ansel Adams Wilderness in the Thousand Island Lakes area. Current reports say overnight lows around 25 with potential snow next week. Is there any chance temperatures would go any lower than that?

User avatar
Topix Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:31 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: carson city nv

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by paula53 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Possibly. You can never tell. I would plan for the temps to get about 5 degrees below that. You have to plan for that to stay safe in the backcountry in the autumn months.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JayOtheMountains and 5 guests