Masses of insect larvae near streams

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
juniper
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Masses of insect larvae near streams

Post by juniper » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 am

We hiked on the (very very dusty) Tevis trail in Granite Chief Wilderness this weekend. Near a few of the streams, we saw huge masses--like thousands of individuals--of what looked like small caterpillars. They were maybe 1/2" long and dark colored. They were on the muddy ground near the water and crawling around on rocks, too. Any idea what these might have been? I don't think they were tent caterpillars--not fuzzy.

Maybe related: the Tevis Cup event, a big horse riding thing, was on this trail just a couple of weeks earlier, so there would have been loads of horses passing by.

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Masses of insect larvae near streams

Post by Jimr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Look up Stone Fly larvae and see if the pictures match what you saw.
“Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.”

-John Adams