Mono County SAR, 8/8/19

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono County SAR, 8/8/19

Post by giantbrookie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Wow, I'm very glad to hear that you got out safely. The damage is not trivial, but I'm with everyone else in being glad it's not life threatening nor threatening to your future outdoor endeavors. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. What happened to you could have very easily happened to any of us who like these sorts of off trail adventures, especially this season where the snow has persisted far longer than average. There were marginal moments on my late July trip where something similar to what you experienced threatened me and my daughter.

Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:34 am

Hmmm... doing a trip in Northern Yosemite this year from Tuolumne to Twin Lakes and was thinking of Little Slide Canyon as a possible side trip or alternative way out. Think I'll do a little more thinkin' ... ;)
—B²

CAMERONM
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for the report and I am glad that it turned out relatively well.
I do a lot of wide loops at a considerable expense of time around where I think water might be flowing underneath.
Certainly, early/fresh unsettled snow must be a lot more hazardous.

LMBSGV
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm

The trip report for this trip, including a detailed description of the accident, is here:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =1&t=20299

I do not think Little Slide Canyon is inherently overly dangerous. There was a use trail from Ice Lake Pass down to where my accident occurred. From the area near the Incredible Hulk on down, the trail was obvious. If one goes late season when there is not a lot of snow, it is class 2 at the worst and class 1for much of the hike. If I’d been over the snowfield where my accident occurred a couple of days earlier or a couple of days later, I doubt there would have been a problem. Unfortunately, I happened to be in the right place at the wrong time (or is it the wrong place at the wrong time?).

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does look like a pretty good cross-country route, perhaps even easier than most. My friend and I have decades of backpacking experience but just a few miles of cross-country, however if there are use trails (and particularly if there's no snow, very likely in August of this year), I'm guessing it should be quite doable. It sounds like it might be worth it just to stop at that campsite you discovered at the beginning of the XC route! :nod:

I'll ask again: has anyone else reading this done the descent of Little Slide Canyon and have any suggestions? Reasonable for a couple of old-timers? Should we expect to take just one day to Twin Lakes from LSGMB's campsite, which sounds like it's fairly close to the departure point from the main trail?
—B²