South Yosemite Suggestions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Timo_the_Osprey
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

South Yosemite Suggestions?

Post by Timo_the_Osprey »

Hello HiSTers—

Anybody have suggestions for an easy, sure-to-please overnighter in the Oakhurst/Bass Lake area with (almost) fail-proof fly fishing? My brother-in-law and 10 year-old nephew are visiting from WA and I'm hoping to take them on a memorable Sierra Nevada excursion.

Both are in good shape but new to the wilderness and using borrowed gear. If they were visiting nearer to my own stomping grounds, I'd take them up to Weaver Lake in the Jenny Lake Wilderness. I'm looking for a similar-type trip.

Thanks to the wilderness permit spreadsheet here on HST (thank you!), I see that 40% of permits in Yosemite are walk up. Suggestions for trips outside the park are welcome, too, especially if it means a higher chance of success.

Would also welcome suggestions that aren't considered South Yosemite but are a reasonable drive away from the Oakhurst/Bass Lake area.

Thanks HST!
FilthyPhill
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: South Yosemite Suggestions?

Post by FilthyPhill »

Maybe Chain lakes or Lillian lake. Up out of bass lake. Both low mileage but not sure about the fishing this time of year.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

There are many options in the SR41 corridor. This all depends on how far you want to go. Ansel Adams Wilderness has lots of options (many trailheads off of Beasore Rd out of Bass L) and you can shoot into S Yosemite from Quartz Mtn which is where I'm headed out of for a 7-day S Yosemite, mostly off trail, trip starting this coming Sat. As for fishing, this also depends on what type of fishing your want: "can't miss" means quantity not quality whereas the bigger fish are associated with a higher skunk probability, of course.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Lower and middle chain is a fun and a short hike in. They can get a taste for both fishing and backpacking. I preferred middle chain lk on the North side.

Don't forget your mosquito masks and DEET, or wear long pants and shirts.
Timo_the_Osprey
Topix Novice

Post by Timo_the_Osprey »

Thank you. These look promising. If all goes well, I will try to write up a TR upon return.
Kris
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Kris »

Jackass lakes
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot
Mtbski
Topix Novice

Post by Mtbski »

Cassidy Bridge from Granite Creek Trail head. Although, not technically in Southern Yosemite, it is very scenic. Easy hike in and out. The Middle fork of the San Joaquin is loaded with trout.