Shepherd Pass trailhead car access

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shepherd Pass trailhead car access

Post by limpingcrab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:40 pm

I need to shuttle 6 people who are coming out at Shepherd Pass on April 21sr (Easter Sunday).

I've never been up that road, could a minivan make it or do I need to figure out a two car solution?

Could an experienced driver get a minivan to that trailhead if he/she took it nice and slow?.

Thanks!

limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Re: Shepherd Pass trailhead car access

Post by limpingcrab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:02 pm

On another note, how do I get my other thread about melting snow unlocked? Can you just delete people's inappropriate comments so I can keep it going and update once I test it this weekend?

Sorry if I should ask that question in some other place but I'm not sure where...

Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:31 am

I think you'll need more clearance than a minivan offers to get to the trailhead. Lots of potholes, rocks and washouts on that road.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by freestone » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 am

There are two trailheads for Sheperds, The stockman trailhead is the first one on the road and is just okay for a minivan. The backpackers trailhead is another mile or so up the road and is less than ideal for anything but high clearance. I bent my rim and got a flat tire on that road a couple of years ago in my Toyota Corolla so now I rent a high clearance vehicle for all those trailheads on the east side like Sheperds, It's so worth it.
"Man is seldom content to witness beauty. He must possess it."

Grand Chief Sir Michael Somare,
Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea 1979

The Feather Thief
by Kirk Wallace Johnson

limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it’s similar to the road to Taboose Pass. I’ll figure something out...

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

If you can get a mile from the backer's trailhead, could you just walk up the road to meet the people and then all walk back down to your vehicle?

Freestone- how does the cost of renting a high clearance vehicle compare to using the commercial shuttle service?

freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by freestone » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Wandering Daisy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm
If you can get a mile from the backer's trailhead, could you just walk up the road to meet the people and then all walk back down to your vehicle?

Freestone- how does the cost of renting a high clearance vehicle compare to using the commercial shuttle service?
The trail to the packers lot is all down hill and easy for someone coming out, just adds a mile or so to the end of a hike. Not too bad and is doable for a minivan to meet them there rather than the upper lot.

WD- Really can’t comment on price comparing renting vs commercial shuttle. For me, its the cost of renting versus ownership of a high clearance vehicle. After a lifetime of going to the Eastern Sierra from coastal SoCal in various compacts and minivans, I now splurge on the big rig since i can’t really afford or justify owning a big vehicle these days. I’m really dating myself now, but the cost of a new big truck is now more than what I paid for my first house!
"Man is seldom content to witness beauty. He must possess it."

Grand Chief Sir Michael Somare,
Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea 1979

The Feather Thief
by Kirk Wallace Johnson

limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:03 am

UPDATE

So one person bailed, leaving our group size and 5 large dudes which I will pack into my Tacoma. I just drove over there to leave my car at the trailhead and my wife followed me all the way to the trailhead in her Toyota Corolla without any issues.

A person who's experienced driving dirt roads and picking lines could get a minivan out there. Like some of you were saying, the road to the trailhead for horses is super easy, but I found the last couple miles to the actual trailhead waaaaay nicer than the Taboose Passe road.

All that said, I could see a couple winters without road maintenance resulting in a much rougher drive that would probably exclude minivans and standard sedans.

PS: please don't go steal my truck

Silky Smooth
Topix Acquainted

Post by Silky Smooth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Have a good trip, enjoy the corn my friend!!