Cross Country Navigation - Piute Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kellymac
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Cross Country Navigation - Piute Pass

Post by Kellymac »

Pardon the new guy question here, but how do people navigate cross-country? For example, I've been up to Piute Pass and beyond numerous times, but I'm interested in going cross-country direct to Pine Creek Pass, or Evolution Lakes area. Do people rely most on: notes/trip details from this forum, GPS, maps and compass, or a combo of all? If GPS, what type of charger units do you use to re-charge for long trips?
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cross Country Navigation - Piute Pass

Post by Flamingo »

A combination of all the above, but it depends on when and where you're traveling.

When I feel inspired to try a specific cross-country route, I start by searching on the forums for trip reports and notes, studying topo maps, and diving into Google Earth. I first focus on feasibility and safety... like, have other people done this route? What are my bail-out options? I then focus on logistics... what are the landmarks that I'll use to navigate? Where's water sources? What are the camping options? Finally, once I've decided to actually try a route, I load the path on my GPS, highlight the route on my topo map, and---most importantly---I share my detailed itinerary with my family.

FWIW, I use a Garmin etrex 20. I keep it powered off, and only turn it on when I'm feeling unsure of my route. Basically, I try to primarily rely on map, compass, and dead reckoning.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Kellymac wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 pm Pardon the new guy question here, but how do people navigate cross-country? For example, I've been up to Piute Pass and beyond numerous times, but I'm interested in going cross-country direct to Pine Creek Pass, or Evolution Lakes area. Do people rely most on: notes/trip details from this forum, GPS, maps and compass, or a combo of all? If GPS, what type of charger units do you use to re-charge for long trips?
Kellymac,

When I read a trip report online, I will usually open Caltopo in a separate window and then I turn on the slope angle shading feature. By reading the report and looking at the map with slope angle, I can usually follow the trip report closely. In the field I carry paper maps and a compass. I also have the TopoMaps+ app on my iphone and I download the maps ahead of time. If I need to check my thinking, I turn on the iphone and check my position. The iphone GPS works in airplane mode and does not require wifi. Because of this I do not carry a separate GPS device. I also use my iphone for photos.

Cheers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Kellymac
Topix Newbie

Post by Kellymac »

Thanks for the advice and the really helpful link and I'll start doing my homework with local hikes in my area and testing my skills.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Km, Jeez I just realized I have been backpacking for over 60 years. I grew up with the old 15 minute series maps and am still more comfortable at assessing steepness and doability using these maps for planning than the new newer 7 1/2 minute series. Certainly I also refer to others TRs but always take them with a grain of salt. I have found that many TRs have much different assessments of difficulty of routes than I had of the same routes. All you have to be is a few feet off route and it can be much more difficult than it has to be. I don't own or use a gps. But will certainly review proposed routes on Google Earth. But once I'm on the ground careful eyeballing the route and constant adjustments are my primary technique. I'm not claiming I always take the best route but the routes I have chosen have gotten me to where I want to go, with very few scary moments.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I second Mike's reply exactly except I've only been at it for 49 years. Just a beginner in comparison.
Bring back the 15 minute maps!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The more you get to know the Sierra, the easier it is to devise a route. Trip reports and good old fashioned guide books are a good place to start. There are also a lot of GPS "tracks" on the internet. Beware that a lot of stuff on the internet is "sandbagged" since the author likes to play down the difficulties to make him/her look better and on the other end, some authors are overly cautious. Regardless of what you use, learning to read topographic maps is the basis to all navigation. A GPS will tell you location, and show it as a point on a topographical map. Really important to learn how to tell uphill from downhill, gullies from ridges, estimate slope, etc. from topographic maps. The USGS 7.5 minute maps are the gold standard for topography. If you use a GPS be sure the GPS uses these maps as the base maps. However, many trails shown on USGS maps are not maintained and some actually overgrown to the point of being gone! The US Forest Service maps are better for showing trails that are actually maintained.

For off-trail I find that after getting the route figured out on a map, Google Earth is very valuable to see the type of terrain you will travel. Satellite and air photos are tricky to interpret, and will distort slope until you get the exactly right viewpoint. They also will flatten trees, send streams up over their banks and other weird stuff. But you will be able to tell a field of talus from a meadow. I actually find Google Earth really fun to play with.

Humphreys Basin is a good place to learn to navigate off trail. Gradually work up to more difficult stuff. I would not do a 2nd or 3rd class pass the first time out. One nice off-trail adventure would be to go from Muriel Lake to Golden Lake to Packsaddle Lake, to Honeymoon Lake. I certainly would not go over Alpine Col or Snow Tongue Pass my first time out!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agree on Humphreys Basin as a start. Learn the landmarks from GE and the map and don't be afraid.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hmmm. I clock in at 54 years, so I fall somewhere in between. But the other note I would add to Old Ranger is that one of the things you learn with time and experience is when you are better off turning around than forcing a route. And that is a key element to any kind of cross country travel.

And yes, I speak from experience.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963