Dissappointment in new gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bobby49
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dissappointment in new gear

Post by bobby49 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 pm

For me, the floor waterproofness is very important, yet I don't want to be carrying some heavy thing in order to achieve that.

In July, I pitched my ultralightweight shelter near Tyndall Creek. The other tent spots were occupied, so I grabbed the one that was left. Unfortunately, that one happened to be in a low spot. The shelter was up and then the rain clouds came in. Soon after the rain started, the trickles of water were flowing underneath the edge of the shelter and into that low spot directly underneath the loose cuben fiber ground sheet that had a sleeping bag and pad on it. To my surprise, the ground sheet floated, so nothing got wet. The ground sheet weighs 2.5 ounces.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am

Did you buy the cuben fiber groundsheet or did you just buy fabric? How much did it cost? The weight is similar to Tyvak, but do you think it is more waterproof or sturdy?

If you use a wide 2-3 inch thick sleeping pad, I imagine that too would keep your sleeping bag dry, even if water got inside the tent. But that too adds a lot more weight, but at least you get a cushy night's sleep! My friend who joined me on one of my trips had a wide/long (25-inch) 3-inch thick pad. Unfortunately I have not seen a wide pad in short length.

longri
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by longri » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:40 pm

There are different grades of Cuben, aka Dyneema Composite Fabric (DCF), and different types of Tyvek too. But the usual choices for a groundsheet are 1.0 oz/yd2 DCF and 1.5 oz/yd2 Tyvek.

The waterproofness of 1.0 oz/yd2 DCF -- when new -- is around 15,000mm head, equivalent to the floor in my older Hilleberg. The differences are not only in the weight and cost but also the durability. DCF is inherently inelastic and this makes it more prone to abrasion and punctures. I'm always amazed at how a sharp object under my Hilleberg tent simply deforms the nylon floor, almost like it's made of rubber. I wouldn't expect my bivy sack that has a DCF floor to hold up to the same abuse.

You can easily patch a hole in DCF fabric with repair tape but more general abrasion damage is ultimately terminal with respect to waterproofness.

Cuben/DCF is a great material for saving weight although with an arguably shorter lifetime than other fabrics. But if you can afford it then it's one way to save some grams.

Lumbergh21
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Interestingly, Six Moon Designs went the other direction witht hte Skyscape Trekker tent a few years ago when they redesigned it; it now weighs 2 oz. more. I will say that the reported weight on their website is accurate, both for my older model and for the newer model that a friend bought, 27 and 29 oz, respectively.

As far as the trekking poles, I'm still using a pair of 16 oz (total weight), Cascade, carbon fiber trekking poles bought at Costco in 2015 for $26. Actaully bought in 2014 and replaced for free after I snapped one through my own sheer stupidity. The markings for the adjustable length are wearing off making it difficult for me to know how long I have them set, but still going strong otherwise. More expensive doesn't always mean better.