Hiking from Carson City to Lake Tahoe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
roostercrab
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Hiking from Carson City to Lake Tahoe

Post by roostercrab »

Hello!

My friend and I grew up in Dayton Nevada and have climbed up a few of the mountains in that area, and he has proposed that we take a hike to Hobart Reservoir and then try to make it to Tahoe. I say that he's nuts if he thinks that will be anything that we could do in a day!

Looking at the topological map there does appear to be a few lowland routes that we could follow, Ash Canyon Creek for instance, but I imagine that the terrain is not going to be forgiving, even if it is only 8 miles as the crow flies.

Have any of you hiked from Carson to Tahoe? I can only imagine that the lack of trails and routes over the mountain indicate that it isn't something to take lightly. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jesse
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hiking from Carson City to Lake Tahoe

Post by TahoeJeff »

The USGS map shows a road from north of Hobart to Marlette. Slam dunk.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman