Sharktooth Pass in Silver Divide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ClaireT
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Sharktooth Pass in Silver Divide

Post by ClaireT »

Hello,

I have a 7-day backpack trip planned for mid September in which we are starting at Lake Edison, going over Goodale Pass, then northwest on Minnow Creek Trail (so named on Trails Illustrated Mammoth Lakes / Mono Divide map), then heading south on Sharktooth Lake trail, over Sharktooth Pass, joining Silver Creek Trail to Margaret Lakes trail, back to Edison.

Has anyone been on the trail over Sharktooth Pass? The Trails Illustrated map shows a maintained trail. But Caltopo, which I've used for route planning, does not show an established trail over this pass.

Any information about the state of the route on both sides of Sharktooth Pass would be most helpful for knowing what kind of trail to expect.
Thanks very much,
Claire
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sharktooth Pass in Silver Divide

Post by rightstar76 »

Hi ClaireT, the USFS has let many trails become "lost" over the years. This one probably qualifies.

Here's an older HST thread which shows a Sharktooth Lake trail sign that looks like it's on it's last legs (and probably the trail too):
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =27&t=7098

Also, from the Sierra National Forest website:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sierra/ ... ecid=45946
So theoretically, there is supposed to be a trail. But that was probably many years ago.

Maybe our more adventurous HSTrs can help ClaireT with this route?

P.S. Before you go, make sure the Lions Fire is completely contained and there is no more smoke. Also, you'll probably want to visit Iva Bell Hot Springs on your trip.

Good luck!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

ClaireT, with a GPS, compass, reliable map, and an early start each day, this could be a fun trip. Just use Caltopo.com and look at the Forest Service 2013 and 2016 topo maps (in the search box on Caltopo enter Iva Bell Hot Springs so you go directly to the junction of Sharktooth Creek and the Minnow Trail).

As far as The Mammoth Lakes / Mono Divide map goes, in my opinion, it is an unreliable map. For example, it designates the Sharktooth Lake Trail from the Minnow Trail south to Sharktooth Lake as suitable for hikers and stock. I sincerely doubt it. Atreehugger did that route in the thread I linked to in my first post to you. There was no trail to Sharktooth Lake. The trail from Sharktooth Lake to the Margaret Lakes Trail was almost non-existent. In addition, I did some research and it appears a fish survey was done in 1999 by the USFS and the lake showed little recreational use due to the fact that travel south up Sharktooth Creek from the Minnow Trail was difficult due to there being no trail. It seems the USFS probably abandoned it decades ago.

I also don't see a Sharktooth Pass (not even on the The Mammoth Lakes / Mono Divide map). I think you are referring to the 10,400 foot crossing of the Silver Divide to the west of Sharktooth Lake. It is a nameless crossing. When it eventually meets up with the Margaret Lakes Trail, and you turn south, as atreehugger indicates, it is basically cross county. Once you reach the basin, there are also many use trails that can be disorienting. It does seem that once the "main" trail curves south and then to the west of Rainbow Lake, it starts to become easier to follow especially after passing to the north of Frog Lake. At the 3-way junction, the trail you want is the one that goes south to Lake Thomas A. Edison. Keep in mind that after you reach the trailhead, you still have to walk a four mile dirt road back to the reservoir unless you have a four wheel drive parked at Onion Spring Trailhead.

With 7 days, good weather, a visit to Iva Bell Hot Springs which is conveniently located in the vicinity of Sharktooth Creek by the Minnow Trail, this sounds like an exciting backpacking trip. The challenge will be finding your way from the Minnow Trail south along Sharktooth Creek to Sharktooth Lake and then subsequently west to the Margaret Lakes Trail and then all the way to Big Margaret Lake.

One easier option would be to return the way you came after visiting Iva Bell Hot Springs (out and back trip). On the way back, you could go to Lost Keys Lakes (faint paths) and Bench Lakes (cross country). This is less risky/frustrating and might be the wiser choice.

Once again, any HST members who have been to Sharktooth Lake and then to Big Margaret Lake want to offer their insights/suggestions?
ClaireT
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ClaireT »

Hi rightstar76,

Thank you so much for taking such a keen interest in this trip and doing all that research! Very much appreciated. That's too bad about the Trails Illustrated Map - it could really lead people astray, like it did me. It now sounds like my planned route over "Sharktooth Pass" (yes, the 10,400 ft pass directly west of Sharktooth Lake - named by me when putting together my route, and when writing my post I forgot this wasn't its official name...) is not a good idea. I have a lot of backpacking experience many years ago, and have recently happily taken it up again, and my companion on this trip is an expert backpacker. But despite this, bushwhacking along the 9 mile stretch from Minnow Trail over "Sharktooth Pass" and then down to Silver Creek is not sounding like a lot of fun. I had considered taking the longer way around Silver Divide which would entail continuing past Sharktooth Creek / Minnow Trail intersection down to Fish Creek, then up Silver Creek toward Rainbow Lake and Big Margaret Lake, but given what atreehugger said back in 2011, it sounds like this is also a largely xcountry route. So, I'm liking your idea of an out and back, taking in various lakes - nice possibilities are Wilbur May, Peter Pande, Anne, Beetlebug. And maybe going back to Edison via Silver Pass, for variety. I had noticed various posts on this forum about these lakes, when originally planning this trip, so will revisit that information and come up with a Plan B.

Thanks again!
Claire