backpacking w teens that hate skeeters

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
regone
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

backpacking w teens that hate skeeters

Post by regone »

Any suggestions for backpacking next week June 28-july1 w a couple of very capable teens in the eastern sierras. The only caveat is both can't stand mosquitos and the youngest,14 gets terrible reaction to bites. I know late June and early July a bad time to hike this area, as the critters are ready to roar but I thought maybe there was some areas less prone or maybe going up to 11k is the call. Thanks in advance and sorry if I didn't post this properly...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: backpacking w teens that hate skeeters

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Seek windy places. Stay out of thick forests. Stay south. Northern Sierra, particularly northern Yosemite is terrible. If you can wait until a day before to make the decision, look at weather forecasts (NWS website) and find forecasted wind. Cottonwood TH seems a good prospect.

Humphreys Basin tends to be open and windy. It however may have lots of standing water and newly hatched mosquitoes. Would not go there unless a firm forecast for wind.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

They can be bad at any elevation, but staying out of the greenery helps a lot. Open granite and windy helps a lot. Long, loose sleeves, long loose pants, a headnet over a broad brimmed hat...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It is called September (before school starts.) It also gives them all summer at home to walk a lot to prepare for the trip.
regone
Topix Novice

Post by regone »

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Getting above the trees makes sense. I'll give Humphry basin a look. These are the only days we an hike.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:It is called September (before school starts.) It also gives them all summer at home to walk a lot to prepare for the trip.
I dunno, seems like all the schools around here get going the last week of August.

But it's a dry year, I bet the skeets will be gone by August.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ok. then go as late as possible for your children's sake.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Hi regone.

I have a solution that solves your problem and makes everyone happy. I think you should consider scrapping the backpacking aspect of your trip and book a motel room in Mammoth or Tahoe instead.

Just imagine the piece of mind you'll enjoy knowing your kids can go back to the motel if there are too many mosquitoes. No whining or crying. You can also go hiking by yourself if they choose to stay indoors. There's tons of great hiking in Mammoth and Tahoe. One dayhike I recommend in the Mammoth area is the Little Lakes Valley Trail. And there's an air conditioned mosquito free room waiting for your kids after the hike.

The main thing is that you get to be in the mountains this week and everyone has a good time being with each other.
Harmony is what's important here.:nod:

Little Lakes Valley Trail:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... 4&actid=50

Good luck!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Its peak mosquito season and that is reality unless one stays in the sagebrush belt and keeps away from lakes and streams. For end of June Sierra backpacking any visitors should get rid of their cotton t-shirt and shorts uniform and instead fully cover their body with proboscis proof clothing except for hands and face and learn to use 100% DEET on those two areas.
regone
Topix Novice

Post by regone »

thanks for all the suggestions... we are just going to get above the tree line and take our chances. Not sure where but the back trip will happen. DEET!!!