Ended up doing desolation “triple crown”

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ended up doing desolation “triple crown”

Post by Willythedog »

Got a fast approaching Whitney mountaineers route coming up and wanted to brush up on a higher elevation class 3 peak. Problem right now is all the peaks I had in mind the permits are all taken (has to be July 6-7, Whitney the week after, mtb trip the week before. Probably the most busy weekend of the year but yeah)

Any recommendations? Criteria as follows:
Preferably within 4.5 hour drive from Marin county. I really don’t feel like driving 7-8 hours consecutive weeks)
Class 3 routes
10k+, preferably 12k+
Would be a plus if there’s a nice lake enroute to camp out at

also side question, I used to post pics via photobucket but what happened to it? Can’t seem to do it through there anymore?

Cheers
Last edited by Willythedog on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: What shall I climb?

Post by Gazelle »

Conness or north peak or both
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

That was actually my first choice. Conness, North and Ragged, but I couldn’t find permits for an overnighter. I guess I could day climb it but would definitely prefer to make basecamp for a lil r and r

Edit- err wait, is there no quota from saddlebag lake?

Edit again- yeah totally forgot there was no quota out of there. Good choice
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Ritter comes to mind. You should be able to grab a same day/walk up permit for most any trailhead if you're going out alone. I have never not been able to grab a same day/walk up permit when I have gone out alone except for maybe the area around Clouds Rest/Cathedral.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Ritter/ banner is definitely on my list but maybe when I got more time. Only got the 6th and 7th so at this point I’m definitely leaning towards Conness and North peak
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shuteye »

NW Ridge of North Peak and N Ridge Conness are both class 4 by the easiest route. North Ridge Conness has an impasse that must be rappelled or downclimbed at 5.6. NW Ridge North Peak has a shorter impasse with the same difficulty (rappel or 5.6) except that there's an exposed, somewhat intricate, but not very difficult class 4 workaround to the west These two routes do connect nicely but they aren't class 3, if that matters.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

So the closer i get to the date the less time i find i have. Plan B right now is day climb the crystal range traverse in Desolation. Planning on starting from Lyons creek trailhead. Would Pyramid-Agassiz-Price be better than Price-Agassiz-Pyramid? Better being a subjective word. Cant find too much info on it but I have done all 3 at separate times, the only question mark would be the Pyramid-Agassiz traverse part.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I think I wrote about it I did it pyramid Agassiz price, there is a nice chute down to the cirque toward Silvia lake if you go north of pyramid along the ridge a little ways, it is loose but not to bad, after that no big deal! Well Agassiz has a class 3 summit block! Great hike
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Look for desolation triple crown on this forum.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Thank you thank you. I googled a bunch of stuff but not “deso triple crown” which brought up quite a few threads. Thanks