Question of conditions on Glen Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rbarker76
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Question of conditions on Glen Pass

Post by rbarker76 »

I will be flying in from the east coast with my daughter at the end of June to do a short 4 days out and back from Onion Valley to Rae Lakes. I have been researching the conditions trying to find some trail reports for Glen Pass. I see it's been a low snow year. The last I could find were for the end of May and it said that ice axes and crampons were recommended for Glen Pass. Has anyone been out there recently to comment? We are going June 26-30 and I'm trying to get an idea on if we need to bring that equipment or if we should be fine by then being that it's another month later since the last report.

Thanks!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question of conditions on Glen Pass

Post by CAMERONM »

The rangers had no idea a few days ago and I talked to one couple who were on their way there with no traction and no poles! But the usual situation for Glen, certainly by that time, is once the PCT and JMT crowds barrel through, there should be major footsteps incised, so if you have poles and wait for the snow to soften a bit, you should be fine. I am cautious, but perhaps others disagree. I am also sure that you should find many accounts in the PCT and JMT forums this week.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Lots of PCT 'ers are now going through the Sierra. Lots of photos and information on

https://www.pcta.org/community/journalist/
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Rbarker76, you might want to subscribe to a PCT/JMT Facebook group and see the latest videos/pictures. I am not on FB so I did a little googling. I found a recent PCT report that shows both sides of the pass:

http://theglassreboot.com/2018/06/10/da ... pct-miles/

Now that was on the 10th. You probably want to go over the pass on the 27th. If there is a major heat wave, the snow might melt enough that you wouldn't need equipment. But even so, it could be dicey. One year I went in August and there was still snow on the north side of the pass and it was slippery. Alot depends on your skill level and amount of experience.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkAZknSBg4E ... =907056950

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkAZknSBg4E ... =907056950

There will probably still be snow on the north side, but like CAMERONM said, trekking poles and going once the snow is softer you'll be able to do it.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Current June 18 report from 8 PCT-ers no problem once the snow warms.
rbarker76
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rbarker76 »

Thanks so much. Then we should have no problems going over on the 28th and crossing back the 29th.