HST Community      sinking your food

sinking your food | High Sierra Topix  

sinking your food

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Re: sinking your food

Postby bobby49 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

AlmostThere wrote:Bears that broke into kitchens in the Boy Scout camps ate the canned food. Explain to me how they know there is food in cans....

Very simple. If it looks like a food can, then bears know that they can find out with their claws and teeth.

A friend of mine submerged a 6-pack of beer into a stream overnight. The bear came along, fished it out of the stream, and then proceeded to puncture each can with its claws and sample the beverage, allowing the remainder to leak out.

I admit that I once submerged a 12-pack of beer into a small river, but that was mostly to chill the beverage for my friends. Part of the problem is that it takes a pretty big rock to keep everything submerged.

bobby49
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby dave54 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 am

It's easy to keep bears aware from your campsite.

Find another tent nearby, say, a couple hundred yards. After they go to sleep, sneak over and smear some peanut butter or anchovy paste on their tent. Then YOU won't be bothered by bears during the night. :D
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Postby bobby49 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:03 pm

dave54 wrote:It's easy to keep bears aware from your campsite.

Find another tent nearby, say, a couple hundred yards. After they go to sleep, sneak over and smear some peanut butter or anchovy paste on their tent. Then YOU won't be bothered by bears during the night. :D

Yes, and also try Oil of Anise. Black bears mistake that for the bear sex attractant smell. Dribble some of it on an old cloth and stick that six feet up on a tree trunk so that the breeze can carry it off to the nearest black bear nose.

Another one is catfood. Carry in a small can of catfood, open it, and let it bake in the sun. Let the bears sniff that from a distance.
bobby49
Topix Regular

Postby sparky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm thinking solar powered drone to just hover over camp at night.

Hell, it could carry my pack all day too!
sparky
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby bobby49 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Solar powered anything doesn't work so good at night.

You could set up a helium-filled balloon on a tether with an on-board trail camera facing down. At least you will get a photo of the animal.
bobby49
Topix Regular

Postby sparky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Electrified Ursack
sparky
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Backcountry Food Topix