2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports | High Sierra Topix  

2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: 2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Postby maverick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Mav, you're a saint. Thanks for putting this together.

Your welcome! Just trying to give all our members a wonderful & safer trip. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kings Canyon High Basin Route 6/5-6/12

Postby CAMERONM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Some more info, including responses:
-The snowline and quality of the snow really varied according to the orientation of the land and the sun. When I went up Silliman, the snow started at 9500. But Colby Lake at 10584 was clear as an August day.
IMG_6109.jpg

-Upper Tableland was not so bad as one could navigate to avoid a lot of snow, but I went out of my way to cross it in the earlier morning so that the snowier stretches would be colder and less likely to collapse on me:
IMG_5971.jpg

-Yes, what I call Lonely lake Pass is the same as Horn Col:
IMG_6032.jpg

-Yes, what I call "the basin under Elizabeth" is Deadman Canyon. Crossing it was fine, but once again, I did it early in the morning:
IMG_6033.jpg
I came down a pass to the southeast of Copper Mine Peak, not the north one that is shown on the HST map, and it was steep and required the axe. I noticed one fresh pair of 12 point crampon tracks lower down the snow incline; whoever it was chose to ascend up the rocks that looked too sketchy to me. The long descent down into Cloud Canyon was in the afternoon and the post-holing the most nerve-wracking.
IMG_6062.jpg
The other place that gave me post-hole trouble was the southern ascent up to Talus pass. I actually spent the night on top of Talus Pass so I could descend on the north side in the morning. The snow was ice at 7 am and tough work, but the distance between safe rocks was not far:
IMG_6154.jpg
Most of what I show is already a week old, and everything was melting fast. Still, waiting at least one more week might make for a less difficult trip.
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.
CAMERONM
Topix Regular

Saddlebag Lake 6/14

Postby Fly Guy Dave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Here's a shot from yesterday (14 June) of Saddlebag Lake looking toward Mt. Conness. The trail along the west shore of the lake is still pretty much snow covered, which I did on the way in, but I took the trail on the east side of the lake going out. Not into post-holing, thank you very much. The east trail was soggy in spots, but no snow. Greenstone is iced out, but barely. That's as far into the basin I got. The water is COLD so the fishing was SLOW...either that or I suck, which is a distinct possibility...
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Koip Peak-Mono Pass-Parker Pass 6/16

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 am

Ayelet Bitton wrote on SNCC-TPP:
Climbed Koip Peak on Saturday from the Mono Pass trailhead to Parker Pass to Koip Pass. A little swampy in the last mile to Parker Pass. From Parker to the bottom of the Koip switchbacks, some snowfields, but all low angle/safe to cross (though make sure you're not on any snow bridges). Switchbacks up to Koip were clear, but then had to cross maybe ~5 short, steep snowfields to get to the top of the pass. Used my axe, but you can also scramble around if you're ambitious. More snow still out there than I was expecting.
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Previous

Return to Conditions Reports and Information