HST Community      2018 Mosquito Reports

2018 Mosquito Reports | High Sierra Topix  

2018 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

2018 Mosquito Reports

Postby maverick » Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 pm

1 - No mosquitoes or if there are some, but not biting yet
2 - Very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk
3 - Moderate during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
4 - Heavy during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
5 - Unbearable all day, no breaks, cannot eat outside of tent. If you stop, hundreds
will descend on you; when looking thru a camera viewfinder, you see more skeeters than
lake. If you slapped your arm, you'd smear blood from all the dead gorged bodies

Please do not post questions or ask about a particular area in this thread. Also, include where you went, with dates included, in the "Subject" box. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mono Basin 5/10

Postby SSSdave » Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Mono Lake Basin, evening Thursday May 10, a couple whining mosquitoes of a large species one often sees about the Owens River south of Bishop, had me rolling up my Forester windows. But Friday late afternoon a cold front came in that covered areas with snow above 7000 feet. Saturday dawn was 26F where i parked at 6500 feet and 17F where I stopped for images at higher up east on SR120. Thus they and any others that decided on taking winds on a trip north have frozen to death. Rest of month looks cool and wet that will continue to prune back those eager to range above balmy Bishop.
SSSdave
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Return to Conditions Reports and Information