Trip Advice: Lake Basin or Darwin Canyon?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice: Lake Basin or Darwin Canyon?

Post by cunningkeith »

A couple friends and I are planning a trip for early August for 6 nights. I'm down to two potential trips and wanted to know which one y'all think is better. Here are my criteria: pure awesomeness but also variety of views, scenery, terrain. Here is my question: If you had never been to either area, which one would you do?

Option 1: Lake Basin and Dumbell Lakes
Start at Taboose Creek, west to Catridge Pass, up to Lake Basin, up to Dumbell Pass, up to Cataract Creek Pass, east to Upper Basin Cross and Upper Basin, then back to car over Taboose Pass.
Est: 36 miles, 12,000 feet gain

Option 2: McGee Lake & Darwin Canyon
Lake Sabrina, south to Echo Lake and Echo Col, north on JMT, side trip west to McGee Lake, north to Evolution Lake, over Darwin Bench, east through Darwin Canyon, over Lamarck Col, to Lamarck Lake, and finish at North Lake
Est: 30 miles, 8,000 feet gain

I’m a Level 4 backpacker (based on this site’s ratings) and am comfortable with x-country, tough terrain, some exposure etc.

Thanks a lot!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Lake Basin or Darwin Canyon?

Post by maverick »

What level are you friends experience?
My choice, if your friends are at the same experience level as you, would be option 1, but would add at least add 1 more day, Lakes Basin, Dumbbell Basin, Amph Basin deserve at least one night in each.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted

Post by cunningkeith »

Thanks for the info and quick reply! My friends are a level 3+. We've done several trips that involve x-country passes.

Of the two trips I'm thinking about, I thought that the hardest pass would be Echo Col in option 2, but maybe I'm wrong.

I was leaning toward the Lake Basin loop, so I'm glad to hear that you agree. Are there any must-see spots in any of the basins (Lake, Dumbell, Amph, or Upper Basin)? Thanks again!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I was leaning toward the Lake Basin loop, so I'm glad to hear that you agree. Are there any must-see spots in any of the basins (Lake, Dumbell, Amph, or Upper Basin)? Thanks again!
I like to explore a basin, get to know it intimately, especially for photography purposes.
Taboose Pass: Striped Mtn Basin, Bench Lake, and start of the South Fork Kings (Muro Blanco).
Lakes Basin: Lake below Cartridge Pass (southern side), Marion Lake.
Dumbbell Lakes: Dumbbell Lakes and the western end of the basin too.
Amph Lakes Basin: Amph Lake and all the other lakes, including the one located at the southern end under the moraine.
Upper Basin: Wide open, lots of no-named lakes with great views or Mt.Prater, Split, and Cardinal.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Of the two trips I'm thinking about, I thought that the hardest pass would be Echo Col in option 2, but maybe I'm wrong.
Echo is, but Dumbbell Pass, Cataract Pass, and especially Upper Basin Crossing (class 2/3) are all solid class 2 passes!

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

cunningkeith wrote: Option 2: McGee Lake & Darwin Canyon
Lake Sabrina, south to Echo Lake and Echo Col, north on JMT, side trip west to McGee Lake, north to Evolution Lake, over Darwin Bench, east through Darwin Canyon, over Lamarck Col, to Lamarck Lake, and finish at North Lake
Est: 30 miles, 8,000 feet gain
I did an approximation of this one time on foot.

One time on skis, except instead of Echo Col we went through Bishop Pass.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I don't know about option 1, but McGee Basin and Darwin Bench are beautiful. You probably can't go wrong with either.
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted

Post by cunningkeith »

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like they're both good trips.

This site is an awesome resource!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

6 nights 7 days is too rushed, too much time on trail routes getting 3 days out from trailheads
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Both beautiful and yes, more days is always appreciated. But sometimes we cannot just take more days! Darwin Basin definitely a shorter approach, if acclimated and you get an early start- can make it in one long day (from North Lake). Lakes Basin a bit longer, but I have made it in 2 long days (Taboose). Important to keep packs light, be in good shape, and already acclimated. I do these late in the season when I am at my best. Doing both Lakes Basin and Dumbbell is a lot in that time frame. You get a good look at the basins, but not much time to explore or fish. Lakes Basin has great fishing, whereas Darwin less so.

Darwin is more in-your-face steep and spectacular. Lakes Basin more open and subtle. Lakes Basin has more vegetation, something you may prefer for photography- particularly the lower part. The surrounding mountians are classic "Range of Light" . I find Darwin Basin a bit more stark with more dark rock. Lakes Basin DEFINITELY is less crowded. I have been to both more than once. If I were to go again, I think it would be Lakes Basin. In my rock climbing years, I would have preferred Darwin Basin. Now that fishing and photography are my activities, Lakes Basin is preferred. However, both are absolutely great. Cannot go wrong.