Bear Canister capacity

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
TurboHike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Bear Canister capacity

Post by TurboHike » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:43 am

The Catalyst is a backpack, not a bear canister.

austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:31 am

This post smells like a bloggers excuse to plug some gear. Like said a catalyst is a pack not a bear can...Maybe a proper intro for the first post w/b a more polite entry...

AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:39 am

What it is, is spam. I've seen the exact same post in other forums. I don't think he's associated with ULA, they don't spam people - I am a customer of theirs - but he's got some agenda posting on loosely related threads the exact same post with the same wording.

markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 am

Just wondering why he actively touts a 75-liter backpack...
55 pounds all up?
Mountainman who swims with trout

longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:56 am

It was obviously some sort of troll. I took the bait knowingly. I don't care that I was trolled.

Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:04 pm

After using a loaned Bearikade scout on my HST hike, I am ready to upgrade my BV.
Now the question of size...
I can get about 8 days of food in a scout... But should I go for a weekender instead and get a little headroom for longer hikes, or to contain other bits that are floating in the backpack...
mmmm
Any words of wisdom ? :)

Wandering Daisy
Topix Addict

Post by Wandering Daisy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:17 pm

I love my Weekender. I like to be able to fit food for a 10-day trip. Have to be quite careful what I bring and pack it precisely. I find that the extra capacity is not a problem, because when I am doing a 4-5 day trip, I then put cook gear, stove and fuel can inside too. There is an old joke; "how much closet space to you need?" "Does not matter; whatever it is you will fill it up!" I am careful not to fill it up with more weighty stuff- but it is nice not have to be so careful about packing it. The only time I wish I had a smaller bear can is for weekend trips.

The deciding factor may be your pack. If you decide on a Weekender, be sure it fits inside your pack the way you want. I definitely want my bear can to ride horizontally, at the top of the pack. A lot of women's small or medium sized packs do not work, so I am restricted to the pack I can use.