A question about a seldom visited lake(s)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

A question about a seldom visited lake(s)

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

For those that have crawled around the high sierras for years.
Have you ever been to Tulainyo Lake?

I have just once due in part to the information I received here.
I was winded and I hurt everywhere. I was in bad shape. But it was worth it!
I am in shape now and I want to go back but when I thought back on my memories of sunbathing on a rock next to the lake a question popped up.

"How deep is Tulainyo Lake?"

I did all the research I can and the only real information I have found is "At least 18ft" and "Really deep"

I have half a mind to go back up there and figure it out.

Im also wondering how deep is Desolation Lake (the one near piute pass)

There doesn't seem to be any information anywhere...

Does anyone have any ideas? speculations? Wisdom?
----
Everyone has a happy place.
Mine is Tulainyo Lake at Sunset.
I do hope to make it back there one day.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: A question about a seldom visited lake(s)

Post by tweederjohnson »

Doesn't give an exact depth, but an interesting article, nonetheless.

http://www.sportdiver.com/lake-tulainyo
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Wow, that's way out of the scope of sport diving. Couldn't imagine hauling anything more than a couple of bailout bottles. A surf suit? One cold dive.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Alaska,
Holy smokes, that's quite the obsession. I knew a guy who was a scuba expert and did high-elevation dives, but I'm pretty sure he never visited Tulainyo. However, I'll try to track him down to find out whether he did and whether he has any idea of its depth. Looks like that may be a data point you might have to fill in? Cameron
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Call the ranger station and ask to speak to a fisheries biologist or hydrologist. If anyone had the data it would be them.

Locally, many years ago, the FS fish bios packed into several wilderness lakes, and with a packraft took water temperatures at various depths using a weighted line and recording thermometer. Developed thermocline maps for the larger lakes. The data is probably still sitting on a server someplace, long untouched.

As far as I can find, there are no bathymetry for any but the largest natural lakes in California. There is a way to do it from multispectral satellite imagery. I have not done it myself.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Depth estimates or measurements are given for some Sierra lakes in the old DFG Angler's Guide series, but these were only done outside the National Parks. I recall Desolation Lake is one of the deepest backcountry lakes in the Sierra (~165') but maybe my memories are flawed. I have read over the years that Tulainyo is supposed to be >100' deep, but I don't know of a more accurate measurement. Of the depth estimates I've seen for California backcountry (ie hike-to instead of drive-to) lakes, the deepest estimates I've seen are for Gilmore L. of Desolation W. (several estimates in excess of 200'), Sapphire Lake in the Trinity Alps (I recall that one is somewhere in the 180' range) and Desolation Lake, if my memories are right. Tulainyo may be in that league, but I haven't seen an estimate as I have for those others. I have seen other reports of odd pale skinny fish in Tulainyo, too, including reports that they are in fact trout.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

Looks like im going to have to get back into shape again, and haul my light packraft and a deeper sonar module up there. I figure that ill go mid season (late July) and attempt to do a sounding of desolation lake, then go late season ( Late August) to tulainyo lake (hopefully its thawed)
----
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

Not going to lie...
Part of me is wishing that while im out there gathering data I find that Tulainyo Lake and Desolation Lake is Frighteningly deeper than expected. Generally lakes that are THAT deep blue tend to be really really deep.
Another question that might not be able to be answered here: can a non-scientist ( I only have a minor in geology, I was focusing on Glaciology ) write a geologic paper on the findings of the lake bathymetric data?
----
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

a raft, a string with measures through it (like we do in the delta to know our angle and reach on the anchor) wouldn't suffice for a depth reading?

My interest is 26'.. That's enough to overwinter fish. Good luck with your endeavor.
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

rlown wrote:a raft, a string with measures through it (like we do in the delta to know our angle and reach on the anchor) wouldn't suffice for a depth reading?

My interest is 26'.. That's enough to overwinter fish. Good luck with your endeavor.
I figure Sonar data while the equipment might be heavier would be more accurate than me with rope.
----