Questions about N. lake - S. Lake loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Questions about N. lake - S. Lake loop

Post by Npike »

Hey everyone,

Well my time to get into the mountains is almost here and I’m putting some final touches on gear and taking local hikes to get the legs and feet ready. I do have a few questions about this trip, being that this is the longest trip I will have taken in my short backpacking life:

1.) My Piute pass entry date is 9/16- is this late enough to consider “major” weather issues (getting enough snow to be concerned about?) I know that the days will be shorter and colder, which I'm fine with, I just worried about getting 3 feet of snow dumped on me, the roads closing and my car being stuck there all winter. I know that it can snow any time of the year in these areas, but are major storms that are several days long common in mid-late September? False concerns?

2.) I know there are no guarantees, but should I be confident about hitching a ride from S. Lake to N. lake on day 1? I want to have backup plan in place if so

3.) Stream crossings- which ones are to be avoided or aware of? Are there any that will be considered a no-go?

4.) Are there any stretches of trail that have no suitable campsites? What are the most frequently camped areas?

Thank you so much for any advice on the above topics anyone can offer. I am counting down the days until then!!!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Questions about N. lake - S. Lake loop

Post by rlown »

It's pretty simple. Watch the weather before you commit, because it is a long hike back down to Aspendell, to even seek help if they close the gate.

Yes, there are storms that roll through that can really hurt you.

I wouldn't worry about stream crossings at that time.

My trip on the East side of Yose starts 9/24, and will be called off if the weather sucks..

Be safe..
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

2) The Bishop Creek Shuttle is running on weekends until October 15th. They pickup from S. Lake at 8:45 am and will drop you off at the N. Lake road at 9:10 am where you can either walk to the trailhead or hitch the last little bit.
-------------
Dave | flickr
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

SirBC wrote:2) The Bishop Creek Shuttle is running on weekends until October 15th. They pickup from S. Lake at 8:45 am and will drop you off at the N. Lake road at 9:10 am where you can either walk to the trailhead or hitch the last little bit.

Or until the road is forced to close.. Remember the season..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You did not say how many days you plan. In general the 5-day forecast is pretty good. Much after that, and it is not reliable. Use the NWS web site and also look at their long-term forecasts. They give a lot of detail regarding how certain they are in the prediction. If a major storm is predicted, just postpone the trip until it is over. Early fall storms usually do not last long and if snow, it melts off in a few days.

You will be in the "shoulder season" so be prepared for worse weather than summer. It will be colder, possibly some snow, probably freeze at night higher up, and your daylight hours are much more limited, so plan accordingly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You did not say how many days you plan.
His first 5-7 day solo trip: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 01#p117101
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd be nervous as well. Hope you have a reconn form in your vehicle and with your loved ones in case.. and a PLB or a spot. I didn't care when I was 16, but that was different. They didn't exist.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would not be worried, but would be going out prepared. As mention previously, check the NWS forecast, including the long term forecast and charts, so you are aware of any systems that could possibly come in earlier, yes, you need to be a semi-professional meteorologist to be a prepared backpacker. :D
Also, learning how to forecast in the field is a prerequisite, it can save your life.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Thanks everyone, this is good info. Pretty much what I figured just wanted to confirm with the pros. I'll be keeping an eye on the NWS forecast, and if the outlook is anything less than perfect I'll be going to plan B. Worse case, I can hake a short hike to humphreys basin and spend a few days exploring that area. I guess it could be worse! :) to be honest, I thought the stream crossings would be more of an issue than potential snowstorms. Didn't think major snow systems started until October or so
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

SirBC wrote:2) The Bishop Creek Shuttle is running on weekends until October 15th. They pickup from S. Lake at 8:45 am and will drop you off at the N. Lake road at 9:10 am where you can either walk to the trailhead or hitch the last little bit.
Good to know, will definitely be looking into this :thumbsup: