Raye Lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
edent3
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Raye Lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Post by edent3 »

Looking for latest info on Raye Lakes Loop Trail Conditions, i.e.

Q1: Are backpackers able to hike entire loop?

Q2: What is the current status of Woods Creek Crossing? I understand bridge is out, is it passable by foot, is river fordable?

Q3: What is the status of Glen Pass (snow etc)? Do we need crampons, etc. on switchbacks?

We are flying out from Philly to backpack the Raye Lakes Loop at the end of August.

Any help appreciated!

Ed
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Raye Lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Post by maverick »

Hi Edent3,

Welcome to HST!

SEKI NP:
8/1 - The South Fork of the Kings River in Upper Paradise is now fordable with much caution. Swift water crossing knowledge is necessary and the crossing is not recommended for children. It is now stock passable up to Woods Creek.

8/9 - On the North side of Glen Pass, at the top switchback, there is 85%-95% snow coverage, using the upper footpath is advised. On the South side of the Pass 90% of the snow has melted out, a section of the switchbacks have been erased, trekking poles are recommended for navigating through the scramble upward.
Looking forward to reading your TR. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org