Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
hiker4ever
Topix Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by hiker4ever » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 pm

New to this community, hope I'm following correct protocal! A friend and I were going to go backpacking in Yosemite July 27-July 29 - wherever we could get a permit that was accessible (we do this every year, so far, it's worked out). We knew it would be a challenge with snow, but now with the fire, just not sure we're up for it. I haven't been to Desolation in years, but just got a back-up permit to Lake Lois. Has anyone been up there lately and how was it over Rockbound Pass? We're experienced backpackers but don't like deep stream crossings or anything but the most obvious of bushwacking. These days we often do an out and back, day-hiking the second day.

Would still love to Yosemite, but...anyone just coming out of there?








User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by AlmostThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Yosemite itself is fine but hazy. As long as you aren't planning to go anywhere near Mariposa. Going in the 120 there will be more traffic as the 140 is closed.

The real challenge is water. Not snow. Water and mosquitoes. Most of Yosemite is not high enough to continue to have issues with snow, which is present above 9500 in some amount and there's still a good amount above 10k. But water is everywhere and wading is status quo in some regions especially meadows.

User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by AlmostThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 pm

BTW, a friend just tried to hike Mt Tallac -- the smoke is affecting the views in Tahoe.... That's not far enough to escape it.

User avatar
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Posts: 10640
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by maverick » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:07 pm

If you check out the "Fire and Smoke Report" thread, there is a smoke map posted, a lot of the smoke from the Detwiler Fire is impacting that area, and you have the "Long Valley Fire" at 83,733 acres and 57% containment, north of Tahoe, which if the winds changes, can impact the area. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

User avatar
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:19 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: Fair Oaks CA (Sacramento area)
Contact:

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by Wandering Daisy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 pm

I have been to Lake Lois from Wright Lake early season (via Rockbound Pass). You do have to cross several creeks. Silver Creek below Maud Lake- go downstream a short distance where you may be able to hop across on rock ribs. Lois Lake outlet- need to wade. Lake Schmidell is well worth a side trip - the drop down the north slope from Lois will have lots of snow- nothing too steep. Schmidell has some good camping on dry benches above the lake on the east end. Getting to Leland Lakes from Schmidell is difficult if there is snow. You could make a loop and drop to the Rubicon, but not sure the scenery is worth the effort.

Did the trip early June 2013- so conditions may be similar now. There was snow and some soggy ground to walk through. Given the tendency of that area to have a lot of standing water the mosquitoes can get thick.

User avatar
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 am
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by happycamper0313 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 am

hiker4ever wrote:New to this community, hope I'm following correct protocal! A friend and I were going to go backpacking in Yosemite July 27-July 29 - wherever we could get a permit that was accessible (we do this every year, so far, it's worked out). We knew it would be a challenge with snow, but now with the fire, just not sure we're up for it.

Would still love to Yosemite, but...anyone just coming out of there?
I've read some trip reports as Cloud's Rest/Half Dome was the plan this weekend - there is ash falling. I got Deer Lakes to Duck Pass permits out of Mammoth instead. Not as 'epic', but I don't want my eyes, nose, throat and respiratory system suffering.

User avatar
scottf2
Topix Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by scottf2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 am

Hi there- my wife and I did a three day trip from Wrights Lake (via Rockbound Pass) past Lake Lois, up to Lake Schmidell and then around the McConnell loop (we camped at Schmidell both nights and did the 9 mile loop as a day hike). This was July 7-9, so it will be three weeks ago by this weekend... There was a good amount of snow starting around 8000' - Schmidell was mostly frozen (but melting fast) and the McConnell loop was 60% snow covered. So, the conditions were challenging, but certainly doable - we had some Yaktrax but mostly didn't use them since the snow was soft and not very steep. Creek crossings were not a problem at all. The McConnell loop involves plenty of "non-obvious" bushwacking (ie: pretty solid trail finding skills and or GPS), but you can just go in to Lois/Schmidell and skip that part (although it's quite beautiful!) The best part was that the "challenging" conditions must have scared everyone off, since once we got past Maud Lake, we didn't see anyone all weekend...

This was our route, which includes some photos, including some shots around Lake Lois/Doris
https://www.strava.com/activities/1076082285
https://www.strava.com/activities/1076088466
https://www.strava.com/activities/1076093049

User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by AlmostThere » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:02 am

Yosemite webcams show the smoke is thicker all the time... wow. I've been watching the evacuations unfold too. The fire's burning toward my old home town... this is crazy.

User avatar
hiker4ever
Topix Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by hiker4ever » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 am

Really helpful feedback everyone! Going to just keep monitoring and make our decision on the 26th....Thank you for your thoughts!!

User avatar
hiker4ever
Topix Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backup plan to Lake Lois versus Yosemite next week

Post by hiker4ever » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Just got back from Yosemite!! Rafferty Creek to Booth Lake 1st day (buggy in meadows and at Lake - needed some Deet and occasionally used netting on head in early evening, but not hide in your tent bad or covered in welts bad, late afternoon had to take off boots and wade below knee deep but not scarey), Gorgeous site - a few folks first night, one party second night. Next day day hikes to Lake Vogelsang (lots of snow on one side, otherwise dry one stream crossing over logs that felt scarey but was not at all a problem), empty high sierra camp, Fletcher Lake (beautiful ice bridge over waterfall, snow bank on opposite side - backpackers camp at Vogelsang muddy), Evelyn Lake. Saw no one in this area until 2 pm! 3rd day hiked out - earlier in day no need to wade through river. Flowers just starting up - will be great in 2 weeks. Was at Tuolumne store on Thursday - just opened, no one there. By Saturday - was getting much busier. Bathroom at store not open but is at visitor center. NO CELLPHONE COVERAGE for any carrier - transmitter down at May Lake - communicate with people at entrance at 120 on courtesy phone or be off the grid. Get up there - it's great and people are just starting to go in!! Careful if you try to cross high on Lyell Creek - reportedly very high and not safe yet (per another hiker).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests