TR Center Basin 7/14-15/2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR Center Basin 7/14-15/2017

Post by cloudlesssky »

At the suggestion of Mike M, I decided to visit Center Basin (vs Lake Reflection). I'm glad I did as the water flow down Bubbs Creek was spectacular and I can't imagine trying to cross it.

The trail up Kearsarge Pass includes a few short snow diverts and crossings, but nothing that requires anything beyond trekking poles for extra balance. The snow on the west side of the pass is largely melted and the runoff is like nothing I've seen before. I took the low trail past Bullfrog Lake and the stream running from the Kearsarge lakes was very pretty.
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG
Once I connected up with the JMT/PCT the trail drops rapidly towards Vidette Meadow. Something like 1000' drop in 1.5 miles. Along the way I got a real good look south up the valley towards Center Basin (on the left) and Forester Pass (on the right).
IMG_2269.JPG
Vidette Meadow was as beautiful as I remember.
IMG_2272.JPG
I really couldn't believe how much water was flowing down Bubbs Creek. It was a raging torrent in spots.
IMG_2280.JPG
I made the mistake of planning in Caltopo but then taking my Tom Harrison map with me (vs a Caltopo printout). The Harrison map doesn't show where the Center Basin trail splits from the JMT/PCT. I hiked past the split to where Bubbs Creek drops down from Center Basin. I dithered a while suspecting I'd gone too far but not having seen the trail along the way. Eventually I gave up and backtracked to a nice spot along Bubbs where the flow widens and slows to a meander. I decided to stop there for the night. Skeeters/bugs that night were a 0 on a scale of 1 to 5 - yeah!
IMG_2287.JPG
In the morning while I was looking around I found the Center Basin Trail. It was almost straight across from my campsite and I'd walked right past it several times the night before. From the JMT/PCT it looked like a dried up runoff. Any ducks that were there had been knocked down. In any case I grabbed my camera and hiked up to Center Basin. As with the rest of the Sierra there is a lot of water.
IMG_2318.JPG
Golden Bear lake was huge. I've never been to the Basin before and I was a little bummed that I hadn't found the trail the night before, but at least I did manage to get up there and poke around for a couple hours before I needed to head back. I saw one other boot print the entire time I was there and the trail hadn't seen much use so far this season.
IMG_2332.JPG
All in all it was a nice overnighter.

In case anyone doubts the water this season, here a picture of the JMT/PCT intersection with the Charlotte Lake trail. Note where the sign is located.
IMG_2346.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR Center Basin 7/14-15/2017

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Center Basin is really lovely. I spent a day camped there and hiked to the upper lakes. I think the trail is unmarked because for a while it was closed due to bear activity. (I could be wrong- does anyone remember anything about this?) I get the feeling the FS really would prefer backpackers not use the area. In the past I have crossed Bubbs in Vidette Meadow to get to Vidette Lakes. This year that will not be possible for many weeks. Surprised there were no mosquitoes there.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I camped at a large campsite with a bear box at the trail junction with the JMT/PCT. I wasn't real keen on camping near a bear box as my experience has been that there are usually bears about (plus lots of other hikers). But the spot was nice, there were few hikers along the JMT at that location, and I saw zero foot/paw prints in the campsite.

As for mosquitoes, it seemed oddly still. With the wet conditions I'd anticipated a cloud of them and even brought a new Thermacell device that connects to a stove cannister. Didn't even break it out.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also was surprised about the amount of standing water and lack of mosquitoes on my Pioneer Basin trip. My guess, is that it has been freezing at night and that a period of warm nights as well as warm days will be needed to get the hatch going. I think this coming week may do it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes, Golden Bear Lake is huge, but the area is quite pretty, and doesn't get over run. How was the smoke on your trip?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

How was the smoke on your trip?
There was just the slightest haze. Hardly noticeable.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Thanks for the TR cloudlesssky. Wasn't that part of the JMT before Forester pass was constructed? I've had that on my radar for a few years.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Cloudlesssky, glad you enjoyed your time in Center Basin. Did you head down to Junction Meadow to check out the Bubbs Creek crossing before heading upstream or was the high water apparent as soon as you hit Vidette Meadow?

FYI, there is usually a cairn marking the Center Basin junction but if you had missed the trail junction, cross country travel here is easy. I like the idea that this was the original route of the JMT before Forester Pass was completed. The upper part of the trail up to Junction Pass is still in remarkably good condition; the route down to the Shepherd Pass trail, above The Pothole, not so much.

Thank you for the trip report.

Mike
Space Cat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Space Cat »

Hey cloudlesssky, thanks for the TR. after reading this I'm planning on headed over Kearsarge Pass on Friday and hopefully checkout Center Basin and a few other spots as well. Hoping the skeeters aren't going to be too crazy but I'll be ready. I'll post a TR and give an update on conditions.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Space Cat,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading that TR! ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org