Trip Planning August 19-26

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Goat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Planning August 19-26

Post by Goat »

Hi Sierra people,

I am putting together a trip with three buddies for August. We will be convening in LA prior to the trip. Our las trip together was the High Sierra Trail; great time. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13056We are looking to do something similar, minus the logistics. We have 4-5 nights

I like the idea of the Rae Lakes loop but am concerned about permits, and it seems like a bit of a racetrack for backpackers. My research here brought me to consider something out of Mineral King. I am a big fan of the high country and off trail travel, having done a chunk of the SHR last year. My buddies are bigger fans of forested areas. We all love to fish more than consuming huge mileage.

Wish list:
4-5 nights
Good fishing
Forest and alpine
5-10 miles per day
Closer than bishop (from LA)

I know a lot of you are planning your own summer trips, and I appreciate your advice. You can count on another trip report.

-Nate
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Trip Planning August 19-26

Post by AlmostThere »

There's a bridge out on Rae Lakes as well, tho later in season that may be less dangerous a crossing without it.

Mineral King presents no end of tiny fish for you to catch. You likely want a route that will take you through Big Five/Little Five, as there are decent size fish in some of those lakes. Perhaps a loop over Timber Gap, Black Rock, Sawtooth - tho I've sworn multiple times never to do Sawtooth again. Columbine is divine, but the scree sucks AND blows. Black Rock is best early early morning as well, from either direction. Franklin Pass and then around through Big/Little Five, and out via Black Rock/Timber would be a nice outing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is everyone in your group comfy with x-country Nate?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

To be realistic, I would say that we need to stick to easy x-country, definitely sub class 3 if we end up off trail. I did a section of the SHR last year from Piute Pass to Devil's postpile. A lot of that would not be ideal for this group.

I'm going to do a little more research into the Franklin, Timber, Black Rock route.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

MK>Franklin>Little 5 Lakes>BRP>Spring Lake-Cyclamen Lake-Columbine Lake Route (class 2)>Sawtooth Pass>MK :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

I like it a lot. Looks like good fishing, manageable mileage, and great scenery.

If we get in the night before, I'm thinking Forrester Lake, big5, little 5, and Columbine. I would be great to get another night in there somewhere. Any suggestions?

Mapped out.
https://caltopo.com/m/77D5
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You could take a side trip over Shotgun Pass to Silver Lake. Hardly anyone fishes that one.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Most folks only visit the lakes along the trail and ranger station at Little 5 Lakes, but the other lakes, east of Eisen, are beautiful, with great views towards the Kaweah Ridgeline.

Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Are there fire restrictions at Little Five Lakes? I saw somewhere that they lowered the line to 10,400' for this area. It looks to be fairly wooded.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

"Lowered?" The restriction is usually 10,000 feet... and no there are no fires allowed anywhere above the largest of the big 5 lakes, which is the one right next to the main trail.