TR: Hilton Lakes from Rock Creek May 2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lvray
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Hilton Lakes from Rock Creek May 2017

Post by lvray »

The relatively warm weather and still abundant snow is making for some very scenic early season trips!

With Rock Creek Rd. now open to the corral, my wife and I decided to spend a few days up at Hilton Lakes. We spent a few nights in Little Lakes Valley about 2 weeks ago and were surprised to see how much snow had melted. There is still plenty left, but it seems to be going quick, especially below 8500.

There was nearly 100% snow coverage starting from the trailhead. Lakes 1 (Davis) and 2 were mostly frozen, but had some areas of thaw. Upper lakes still fully frozen. I would say complete snow coverage starts between 8500 and 9000 feet. Temps were generally pleasant, but wind gusts were forecast to be 50 mph Thursday night and Friday and I would say they reached that. Full sun and warmer days made snow conditions very slippery by early afternoon. I would estimate at least 4 to 6 feet of snow in most areas above 10000 feet.

Beautiful area for nice short trip. There was one set of ski tracks that looked to be a few days old, but otherwise that was the only sign of people we saw.
IMG_4057.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG
IMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4063.JPG
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4129.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR: Hilton Lakes from Rock Creek May 2017

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Beautiful! Did you go up the drainage or cut in from the Rock Creek near the end of the road? I have gone in from the end of road but never up the drainage.
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

We went up and over from Rock Creek trailhead.
Wandering Daisy wrote:Beautiful! Did you go up the drainage or cut in from the Rock Creek near the end of the road? I have gone in from the end of road but never up the drainage.
TempeScott
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TempeScott »

If you had to guess, how long before they open the camp sites along rock creek?
Thanks!
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Scott PM sent
acarlon707
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by acarlon707 »

austex wrote:Scott PM sent
I would also like that info if possible.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Sent