Sequoia and KC NPs in end March

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
keithk900
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Sequoia and KC NPs in end March

Post by keithk900 »

Hey!

I am planning a 4.5 day and 4 night stay in Sequoia and KC NPs for end of March 2017. I am looking to do a combination of day hikes, backpacking, snowshoeing.

I would like to do 3 nights outside.

Ideally I would like to do a day snow shoe hike to see a frozen/snowy lake then hike out and camp somewhere not snow covered. I have done similar trips before, however I will be traveling with 2 people who are in good shape, but have never done this before. Any suggestions?

I would also like to do a backcountry (non-snowy/frozen) 2 day hike somewhere between 10-20 miles total. I was thinking the foothills would be good for this. Any suggestions? We are all comfortable with moderate difficulty with some intermittent strenuous.

I would use the last 1.5 days to do some day hikes and see some of the "must sees" in the park.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciate!!! I am really looking forward to this park!

Thanks!
-Keithk900
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sequoia and KC NPs in end March

Post by balzaccom »

Your options will be limited by what roads are open. The visitor center at Grant's Grove is at about 6500 feet...and there could well be enough snow there to keep the road to Road's End (and the Canyon of the Kings River itself) closed. I've camped at GG over Memorial Day weekend and had plenty of snow on the ground. Trails that are open? The Ladybug trail is usually open, but just about everything else will have a healthy layer of snow on it--and the roads to the trailheads may actually be your best bet as snowshoe routes.

Of course, over the past few years things have been a bit different, but this is shaping up to be a normal year...and that means snow at 6500 feet in March, and lots of road closures. Only hike I can think of in the foothills is either Ladybug or Hetch-hetchy in Yosemite, but those are really only overnighters.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

March is too early... think snow, ice and ice. Don't take people who have no backpacking skills or experience in winter on a backpacking trip unless they are really, really enthusiastic. You'll never get them out there ever again. That's trust-destruction right there in a backpack with a bow on it. If you haven't had any experience in winter camping, don't even think about it -- go with someone who has that experience, not newbies.

You are not doing anything to see a frozen lake then camp somewhere that is not snow covered without at least an hour's drive in between. And you'lll need those chains or cables, and likely have to use them.

You may want to plan a trip to the coast instead. It'll be plenty cold, still, but there won't be a bunch of snow.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

The middle fork trail should be snow free at that time of the year, and the Kaweah will be running strong. It's ~11 miles to Redwood Meadow. Pear Lake Ski Hut may be available depending if you get reservations. Easily made in a day, you can stay overnight there and then hike back out. Plenty of lakes along the way too. Another option is starting from Upper Stony Creek and hiking to Jennie Lake. It's a pretty strenuous hike and might be too much for your friends. From Big Meadows TH or Cherry Gap there are several snow shoe/ x-country ski trails available. Redwood Canyon could be snow free, but the road to the trailhead isn't plowed, so might not be. Nevertheless hiking on the road still allows you to see many of the large Sequoias. I've hiked Buena Vista Peak in winter and it's short enough to be fun no matter the snow levels. Big Baldy is also an option. I don't think that a 10-20 mile hike is a sure thing, you might have to settle for several shorter hikes depending on conditions and your energy levels.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Agree with Almost There. If snow surfaces are firm, you could day hike with snow shoes. However if conditions are fresh snow or breakable crust (common), walking about will be much more laborious except on packed trails (if any). Off trails one will not go far before realizing it is rather futile.

Instead in March would much recommend something in our California deserts as temperatures are moderate with greenery and wildflowers. Most highly recommend Death Valley National Park where one will see plenty of impressive mountainous topography with endless fascinating hiking. Or closer to the San Joaquin Valley, Carizzo Plain National Monument or the new Pinnacles National Park.

David
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

The desert is a very good suggestion. We've done a few overnights in Death Valley that were pretty darn amazing. But you'll need to carry water...lots of water.

FYI, Pinnacles has great hiking, but I don't think they have any overnights...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

No backpacking allowed in Pinnacles. But there is a campground, and it's nice hiking in winter -- condors to watch, caves to crawl through.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

Not in SEKI, but Little Yosemite Valley/JMT area MIGHT be doable in late March. Easy bail and easy to adjust if snowpack/weather causes you to change plans.

Carry an axe and know how to use it.
keithk900
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by keithk900 »

Thanks to everyone for the awesome info. I will definitely rework the trip!!

Appreciate it!