Rae lakes or Ediza/1000 islands Lk mosquitos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FishfinderAK
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Rae lakes or Ediza/1000 islands Lk mosquitos

Post by FishfinderAK »

Hello all
First thanks for all the amazing info I have already gleaned from the fantastic forum!
My 10 yr old son and I are are planning our first trip into the Sierra this next summer. We have both done a lot of backpacking around home, in SE Alaska, and in the northern Rockies.
We are very excited to check out the Sierras! But have 2 concerns...heat and mosquitos.
Due to a busy summer our only time for this trip will be during the first 2 weeks in July.
We're looking for a 4-5 night loop. Thinking about the Rae's lakes loop or Ediza 1000 island lakes loop.
Can I assume the heat and skeeters will be more tolerable on the Ediza loop? What kinda temps can we expect on the Rae Lk loop? And our the mosquitoes honestly as bad as some reports state? OR are they mostly confined the the low elevations the first few miles? While we are no strangers to bugs, 5 days in headsets would drive my son (and I) a bit crazy.
Thank you for any info, ideas,or other loop ideas!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae lakes or Ediza/1000 islands Lk mosquitos

Post by AlmostThere »

It's far too soon to tell how mosquitos will be in July -- it will depend on when snowmelt starts and ends, and you can't determine that until you know how much snow there is in May, when it usually starts.
Those locations will be fairly similar in most respects, being similar in elevation. What will differ is the permit process -- for Rae Lakes, you will be applying in March for the permit, if you reserve them. The two trailheads for that fill early -- if you start at Road's End. For starting Rae Lakes from the east side, or for the Ediza/1000 Island option, you are needing permits from/for Inyo -- you should visit the Inyo NF pages on recreation.gov for when to begin to apply for permits for the date you intend to start.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

FishfinderAK wrote:My 10 yr old son and I are are planning our first trip into the Sierra this next summer. We have both done a lot of backpacking around home, in SE Alaska, and in the northern Rockies.
From what I recall, Alaska and the Rockies have some pretty big biting flies and the sort. Early July usually has at least some mosquitoes, more so than August or later in the season. I don't know what hot is to you northerners, but I think you would be hard pressed to find it getting hotter than 80-85 degrees.
FishfinderAK
Topix Newbie

Post by FishfinderAK »

Great. Thanks for the info folks!
80 is pretty darn hot for us. But as long as this was the HIGH and only during the heat of the afternoon, I think we might survive.
Ya I assume a few skeeters. I just didn't want blackout conditions all day.
After reading more on here I ran across an Agnew to Toulume meadows TR that looks about perfect for us.
Can I assume Donahue Pass is passable by early July?
thank you again!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Again, that depends entirely on how much snow, but even if there is that's the JMT and PCT, and people will have put a heavily traveled trail through it.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

My take on your questions during the time period. 50% normal snow fall in the area and mosquitoes will be mostly gone and maybe a little snow on n. side of Donahue. 80% snowpack in May and you will be dealing with mosquitoes and a little more snow. 100% and above and you will have mosquitoes to 9500m feet and then snow. The two passes between Agnew and Tuolumne are not difficult and can be negotiated easily over snow. Go up each heading n. early to avoid postholing. Might want to test the snow a bit before heading down the n side of Donahue to make sure it is not icy. I would not take anything for traction other than hiking poles for that trip.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I did my first true Sierra outing last summer covering Devil Postpile -> Ediza - > 1000 Islands Lake and back to Mammoth area over 3 days around July 4 weekend. My night at Ediza was enjoyable, but the mosquitoes were brutal for the couple hours I was outside my tent before packing it in. I def. needed my headnet at the time and just was resigned to accepting it. On the trail, however, it was mostly fine except near pockets of snowmelt and meadows.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Agnew to Tuolumne is an awesome trip and 1 I have done on 2 occasions both in early July. There will most likely be snow going over Donahue but like Almost already said, that is a heavily travelled route and there will be a well used path to follow. 5 nights is a great amount of time for that trip with your son as you should have no problems covering those miles in that amount of time. It really is an amazing area with great scenery (like everywhere in the Sierra).
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It could be quite hot starting the Rae Lakes Loop. Do not start in the afternoon. Better to camp at one of the many campgrounds and get an early start. Although the air temperature may be 80's, the canyon walls really hold the heat by afternoon.

Northern Sierra generally have more mosquitoes than southern. Generally walking is not an issue, except that you can only take a 1-2 minute break before they find you. Camping, and especially cooking, is when they come after you. I can usually avoid morning problems by getting up before dawn. Evening meal is always a problem. Not a great idea to eat inside your tent. It could attract bears. It is sort of a toss up. With the drought, mosquitoes have been on the down swing by July. If it is a normal snowpack, or high snowpack, first two weeks in July can be really bad. My guess is that Rae Lakes loop will be hotter but less skeets. Wind is your best friend in bug season. Camp where there is a good breeze.

Be prepared for bad mosquitoes, and just be thankful if it does not happen.

Interesting about biting black flies in the northern Rockies. I just found out that they are called Minnasota Black Gnats. They have just been introduced in the last 15 years. They really bite some peolpe but not others. They suck blood! A few years ago they really went after our dog. But they really swarm - a real "in-your-face" problem. They are generally at peak last two weeks in July. Also some really bad horse flies, late Ausgust. I have never seen these black flies in the Sierra. Nor have I seen many horse flies of deer flies. Not as much horse poop on the trails. I did once get attacked by wasps.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Early July is peak mosquito season for much of the southern High Sierra and there really is not any choice for avoidance. Given an average winter snow pack, your Ritter Range trip is likely to have lots of mosquitoes but the Sierra outside a few spots like Emigrant Basin is not like Alaska so even when squeets are bad, full clothing, especially head gear, and DEET on any exposed skin will work without always wearing a head net. Rae Lakes basin may still have numerous snow patches about and snowfields at the pass.

David