Hiking in before main group- Permit question?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
websailor
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hiking in before main group- Permit question?

Post by websailor »

Okay, I should know the answer to this but I don't. A group of us from the SF Bay Area will be backpacking to Treasure Lakes for a few days. But I'll be in the Bishop area a few days before that. I'd like to start my hike earlier the the day (say 9 am) before the main group arrives and starts hiking at 4 pm. The trip leader is with that group and will pick up the permit.

We already asked if I could be put on the permit as a co-group leader, but the Ranger Station said "No". That means I can't pick up the permit before the main group.

What can I do? Can I start my hike at 9 am and if a Ranger on the trail asks for my permit tell them about the main group (who likely would not have picked it up yet)? Should I try for a walk-in permit (though I'd hate to deprive someone else of the opportunity to go backpacking on that trail)? Do I have to wait for the main group to pick up the Permit?

Help!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking in before main group- Permit question?

Post by AlmostThere »

Yep, they want the group to stay together. I'd get my own permit, in that instance.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Is a permit required for day hiking?

You are basically just on a day hike until you meet up with main group and join them.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Of course, the issue is whether a ranger will believe you, when you are hiking along with a full overnight pack...

Law enforcement gets really tired of people trying to put one over on them. I'd still get my own permit. Because I'm the one who sees every freakin' ranger out there, while no one else does, apparently.
websailor
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by websailor »

LOL, I thought about the day hike aspect. My pack is pretty light, but I don't think many Rangers would buy it.

I'm really trying to do the right thing, whatever that is. If I get my own permit for one day, that deprives another hiker from being able to go. There are only 10 permits for the trail per day, so that seems wrong to deprive someone just to fill in a 9 hour gap.

If I could be made the co-group leader, then all the problems would be gone...but the Ranger station said no to that. I don't know why, when I've set up trips I could do that.

In the past I've always written the permit number on my map and have never been asked to show it. Just had a nice chat with the Ranger and told them who my group leader was and whether they were ahead or behind me. We all hike at our own pace and arrange to meet at certain places for snacks or meals or to make sure everyone takes the correct fork in the trail.

But it does seem like there is a much bigger back country impact lately, so I can understand a Rnager being a bit more picky lately.

Sigh...