HST must-hit stops?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

HST must-hit stops?

Post by walterfredo »

Hello HST folks. My wife and I are doing the HST trail in a couple of weeks and have yet to really plan our itinerary. I'm curious what some folks opinions are regarding the best/worst camping spots on the route? Must hit spots? Definitely planning on Kern Hot Springs one night. Our plan is to try to be at crescent meadow trailhead no later than 10 am on our departure day, but could get there earlier if it's going to be a long hike to our night 1 camp site. We're looking to do the HST in about 8 days (+/- 1 day). Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: HST must-hit stops?

Post by maverick »

Will you be taking bear canisters? What are your max mileages?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

We're definitely carrying bear canisters. Trying to keep our max miles per day to around 15ish, which should give us plenty of cushion for making the trek in 8 days, we're in no real rush.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Buck Creek day 1, Hamilton Lakes on day 2, Big Arroyo for day 3 (check out 9 Lakes Basin), Kern Hot Spring day 4, Wallace Creek/JMT Junction day 5, layover day hike up to Wallace Lake 6, Arctic Lake day 7, hike to Trail Crest and drop pack, summit Whitney and hike out to Portal.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

Thanks! Have not heard of Arctic Lake. I did the HST years ago and spent our last night at Guitar Lake. Advantages to Arctic Lake over Guitar Lake?

Also, my wife is reading that most people leave guitar at a ridiculously early hour of the morning but I don't recall doing that when I did it years ago. Thoughts om this?
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Last year we did the trail during the rough fire. We left from the tarn above guitar about 7:00am. Didn't get to outpost camp until after dark. Admittedly we were slow (I waited almost two hours for the rest of my group to summit). It was a long day but made the hike out easier and we didn't want to stay at trail camp.

Our original plan was to hit nine lakes early enough to explore some but the hike from Hamilton lake really kicked our buts so we stayed in the upper part of Big Arroyo. It was the coldest nigh I have ever spent in the backcountry. My brother still had ice on his tent when we got to Morraine. Missing Nine Lakes Basin was my big disappointment on that trip.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Advantages to Arctic Lake over Guitar Lake?
Arctic and Hitchcock Lakes both offer solitude, Guitar can be a tent city with a lot of noise.

walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

Thanks for all the input.

What is the best resource to view the current campsites along the HST that have bear boxes? Is there a box at Wallace Creek/JMT junction. Looks like all the other places we'll be camping (considering following Mavericks route posted above) have Bear Boxes with the exception of Guitar Lake/Arctic Lake, just haven't verified the Wallace Creek/JMT Junction spot to have bear box.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What is the best resource to view the current campsites along the HST that have bear boxes?
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_box.htm
Is there a box at Wallace Creek/JMT junction.
Yes there is.

walterfredo
Topix Acquainted

Post by walterfredo »

thank you gain.