Requesting Beta on Gardiner Pass East

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Alpinista55
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Requesting Beta on Gardiner Pass East

Post by Alpinista55 »

We are planning a loop hike in late August from Onion Valley over Kearsarge and Glenn passes, up through 60 Lakes Basin and over the col into upper Gardiner Basin. I'd like to cross over Gardiner's NW Ridge via Gardiner Pass East (so named on the HST map) to shortcut the lower Gardiner Basin/Gardiner Creek, avoid the elevation loss, and get to Gardiner Pass/Charlotte Lake. Gardiner Pass East looks to be a fairly straightforward class 2 from what I've been able to find so far. If you have done this crossing I'd love to get your insight.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Requesting Beta on Gardiner Pass East

Post by maverick »

Hi Alpinista55,

Welcome to HST! See if this helps: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8530&p=62155&hilit ... ass#p62155
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Alpinista55
Topix Novice

Post by Alpinista55 »

maverick wrote:Hi Alpinista55,

Welcome to HST! See if this helps: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8530&p=62155&hilit ... ass#p62155
Thanks, Maverick, but that is the normal Gardiner Pass (West). Lots of info on that crossing. I am interested in Gardiner Pass (East), which crosses the NW Ridge of Mt Gardiner (-118.4625774549477, 36.80912140288834) at about 12,043'. This pass is a shortcut between the main upper east Gardiner Basin below Mt. Cotter and the southern fork of Gardiner Creek below the normal Gardiner Pass. It is called out on the HST map as Gardiner Pass East.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Second hand information from the 1996 Arnot book, pg 128: "On the west there is a high col on the northwest shoulder of Mt Gardnier about half a mile from the summit. This col is found to the east of a chain of 4 lakes starting at the north base of Gardiner Pass. A large gendarme resembling a rabbit foot is clearly seen at the north end of the col. The col is class 1-2 on the west side and solid class 2 on the east side".
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I think it is in the middle skyline. This is a view from the east side.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd vote for that pic in Eric's contest, WD!! Might be just a year out of his criteria though.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Not sure about my labels. The view is from the east side.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

rlown - I have several of these photos - a series that I took on two different days. Yeh, I like this photo too. This little lake is one of the most beautiful places I have been. The photo is not even my favorite, but one that I thought showed the pass the best. Gardiner Basin is a place I would go back in a heart beat - and stay more than a few days. On this trip, I got caught in two of the most severe storms I ever encountered in the Sierra - a real survival moment.

Come to think of it, how about Meet-Up 2017?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Come to think of it, how about Meet-Up 2017?
Still a ways off, but It's one of the five locations on my short list. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Not to be morbid, but isn't the pass NW of Gardiner exactly where Gregory Muck died a couple of summers ago?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Mi ... 36241.html