High Sierra Trail conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
volleyohl
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

High Sierra Trail conditions

Post by volleyohl »

I'm solo hiking the HST in late June and I'm wondering what the trail conditions are like? Anyone have any trail info? They received some snowfall the last few weeks. Im hoping it's not too bad. Thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail conditions

Post by AlmostThere »

I doubt there will be an issue with snow. Gear chewing animals and pack stealing Bears will still be there, tho.
volleyohl
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by volleyohl »

Thanks for the info. I'm trying the trail solo this year. Tried last year but my hiking companion had to turn back (blisters/fatigue). Bummer.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi volleyohi,

Welcome to HST! By the end of June the trails should be fine, this snow will probably make your trip it little more enjoyable. Check the "Current Conditions" section here on HST, and also any TR's that are posted in the mean time to help gauge the conditions.
An intro would be welcomed, as it is from all our new members :nod: . viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org