Logo Suggestions, New Ideas

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Logo Suggestions, New Ideas

Post by ERIC »

I admit that graphic design is not my strength. I'm sure by now you've seen the latest version of the HST logo, but rest assured its design is not set in stone! I'm interested in simple, timeless design ideas - simplicity and scale-ability are key. No shadowing, and probably no more than about 4 colors and something that could be distilled down to a single color if desired. Examples of some logos I like would be REI, The North Face, Marmot, MSR, Mountain Equipment Co-Op, SectionHiker.com, etc.

Having said all that, what can we do to make the current logo better, or, how would you describe what you believe could be the perfect logo for HST (BTW you are allowed to ignore my criteria)?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Logo Suggestions, New Ideas

Post by gary c. »

Eric, I've done some t-shirt designs before and I'll try to find the time to dink around a little. I like to do things more as a single color with a silhouette design.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks so much, gary c.!

Attached is the ai file for the current logo, in case you or anyone else find it useful.
Attachments
hst.ai
(133.08 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I'm not a graphic designer either, but I have some experience with designing....if you still need a logo.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Hikin Mike wrote:I'm not a graphic designer either, but I have some experience with designing....if you still need a logo.
Thanks, Mike! Yes, your help would be very much appreciated. Some on here may recall you did a really nice job with the graphic(s) we still use on the CafePress merchandise. :thumbsup: Even if someone is not a graphic designer suggestions are welcome. Not going to please everyone but would be good if we could come up with something that's appealing to the majority.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I always liked the little icons from the T-shirt/Cafe Press stuff, so I through something together...
Attachments
hst-logo-all.jpg
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice logo's! I too like retro, and this comes to mind (sorry that the mouse pad is a little dirty: )
HST retro.JPG
HST retro.JPG (48.13 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
If this was sprayed with an alpine glow (markskor?) it would be spectacular.

Just an idea..
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

If you mean something along the lines of digitized watercolor, Russ, you've definitely got my attention!

Again, just keep in mind that the logo needs to be something that can be scale-able - think 80x80px-ish on up to bumper sticker or banner size - and look good at any size in between. Additional text can be added to the logo at larger sizes, but at smaller sizes ideally it should be unique and identifiable (think small patch on your backpack, etc.)
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Here's another mock-up that I received. It arrived after I'd already contracted what we have now. Still not what we want (I don't think) but gives an example of what I mean by logo (small scale) and logo plus text (large scale). Plus, the logo itself is somewhat distinguishable.
Attachments
hst_mock_logo.jpg
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

banners and bumper stickers? you have those? I could cut out the same pic from my old mouse pad and it would weigh an ounce. but that latest thing you got looks quite corporate. not saying that's good or bad.