First time backpacking in Sequoia with Son

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

First time backpacking in Sequoia with Son

Post by Solace-seeker »

I want to go to Sequoia National Park this weekend with my son 15.We will backpack one day and come back down the next morning. . I want to visit Crescent Meadow so if you know a spot to get to from there, that would be good but any suggestions anywhere in the park would be appreciated.
We are hoping to find a nice spot to find that we can return to every year. Any advice would great.
Thank you
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First time backpacking in Sequoia with Son

Post by AlmostThere »

You can't camp at Crescent Meadow, or anywhere close. Not sure what kind of miles you are looking to do but the first campsite from there will either be on the Alta trail at Panther Gap, where there is no water, or on the High Sierra Trail at Panther Creek, where there may not be much water.

I suggest visiting the day use area - the Giant Forest, where Crescent Meadow is - then going to Redwood Canyon for the overnight piece - a nice easy overnight in the largest grove of sequoias around. Hiking down the middle trail along the creek very quickly gets you to campsites.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/r ... -trail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

Thank you Amost There
When you say take the middle trail did that mean the "Middle Fork Trail"?
Also are the campsites along the trail designated campsites that one has to reserve?
Thanks again for your help!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

No, the Middle Fork Trail is a completely different place.

Redwood Canyon is in Kings Canyon. If you look at a map of it, there is a large 10 mile loop, with a trail down the middle. Thus you can have a choice of two six mile loops, a single 10 mile loop, or an easy out and back down the trail that goes alongside the creek, which continues down the canyon past where the loop trail crosses it.

You need a wilderness permit and you can't camp within two miles of the trailhead. Most people camp along the creek and there are flat spots (and illegal fire rings here and there).

You'll also probably be asked to bring a bear can, since there are bears here.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

Thank you ..Almost there
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

Hi Almost There,
I wanted to thank you for the backpacking suggestion. We took the Hart loop and camped about 3 miles out. The Sequoia' s were amazing! Great suggestion. We had a nice little adventure and will be doing it again