Seeking suggestions for 40-60 mile loop east trailhead entry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Seeking suggestions for 40-60 mile loop east trailhead entry

Post by Captain Slappy »

Hello,

Longtime lurker here. I have done the Rae Lakes loop, Circle of Solitude (Kearsarge - Avalanche - Colby - Forrester), and the North-South Lake loop. I am looking for another quintessential Sierra loop hike to do this summer, preferably one that doesn't spend too much time on the JMT but I'm willing to sacrafice that requirement. I've done lots of on trail hiking but not too much cross country. I usually like to do 10-15 miles/day and can handle most elevation changes. What would be some good loop hikes that do not cover the same territory I've been over? Thanks!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking suggestions for 40-60 mile loop east trailhead entry

Post by TehipiteTom »

Just curious...are the eastside trailheads easier for you to get to? Or do you just prefer them for the experience (quick entry into spectacular country)?

I'm asking because I can think of some great westside-entry loops like that, and I'm blanking on eastside loops.

Also, you mention limited x-c experience...are you looking for all-trail loops, or is some cross-country okay?
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Captain Slappy »

I am coming from Vegas so it's mostly a matter of drive time in regards to the east side entry. The quick entry into spectacular scenery is merely a bonus. I think I would be comfortable with some cross country...just nothing too advanced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

That does make a significant difference in driving time. Sorry, you're out of my area of expertise. (I'd have suggested a loop out of Road's End, over Pinchot & Mather Passes, down the Middle Fork, & back over the Monarch Divide.)
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I haven't done this one personally, but the Benson Lake loop near Twin Lakes seems to fit your criteria nicely.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

TehipiteTom wrote:That does make a significant difference in driving time. Sorry, you're out of my area of expertise. (I'd have suggested a loop out of Road's End, over Pinchot & Mather Passes, down the Middle Fork, & back over the Monarch Divide.)
I was also thinking about the same loop! And thinking how it would be crazy to do it from the east side because you'd just drop down into Road's End for no real reason. Maybe it can be adjusted to a lollipop coming in over Sawmill and cut off the Road's End part by heading up Cartridge Pass to Marion Lake and connecting that way. That's part of the Sierra High Route iirc. So maybe something like Sawmill Pass --> Pinchot Pass --> Cartridge Pass --> Marion Lake --> Middle Fork --> JMT (Palisade Lakes / Mather Pass) --> Sawmill Pass
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

maiathebee wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote:That does make a significant difference in driving time. Sorry, you're out of my area of expertise. (I'd have suggested a loop out of Road's End, over Pinchot & Mather Passes, down the Middle Fork, & back over the Monarch Divide.)
I was also thinking about the same loop! And thinking how it would be crazy to do it from the east side because you'd just drop down into Road's End for no real reason. Maybe it can be adjusted to a lollipop coming in over Sawmill and cut off the Road's End part by heading up Cartridge Pass to Marion Lake and connecting that way. That's part of the Sierra High Route iirc. So maybe something like Sawmill Pass --> Pinchot Pass --> Cartridge Pass --> Marion Lake --> Middle Fork --> JMT (Palisade Lakes / Mather Pass) --> Sawmill Pass
Cartridge Creek might be tougher cross-country than the OP is looking for (haven't done it myself, basing that on reports--brush, cliffs, etc.). Following the SHR to Horseshoe Lakes and then taking trail down to Simpson would add to the length, but might be less challenging cross-country.

In any case, a spectacular route with a huge variety of scenery.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please keep within the OP's request, if you have a particular interest in a route
that is stated here, please start you own thread. Thanks

Captain,

Would be happy to recommend you a route, but you have been to HST a couple
times requesting intell on areas for your upcoming trips but never wrote a TR,
Conditions Report, or Mosquito Report. It would be nice if you participated and
submitted some intell or TR that would help your fellow HST members too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

maverick wrote:Please keep within the OP's request, if you have a particular interest in a route
that is stated here, please start you own thread. Thanks
I don't know if this is directed at me or not, but when I wrote "I was also thinking about that same route" I meant for the OP, not for myself. You might even notice that I tried to find a way to modify it to satisfy the OP's request of east side entry. Apologies if this was inappropriate.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No, let me apologies, you are correct, I did not read your whole post and assumed
it was going to branch off. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org