Local Weather 10.03.06

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Post Reply
User avatar
Topix Expert
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:41 am
Experience: N/A
Location: Lone Pine/Independence, CA

Local Weather 10.03.06

Post by dmatt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 am

Owens Valley & High Sierra Forecast
Fort Independence EPA Met Station
EPA Site No: 06-027-1028
0802 PDT 03 Oct 2006


Today & Tomorrow: Today will see mostly clear skies in the morning, becoming partly cloudy with breezy conditions in the afternoon. Daytime temps in the High Country will be in the mid 50s and evening temps in the mid 30s. The Owens Valley will have afternoon temps in the upper 70s and evening temps in the mid 40s. Wind gusts in the High Country are expected to be in the 20-30 mph range this afternoon. A closed low will move from the Bay Area through central California on Wednesday, arriving in our area sometime Wednesday evening. This low may have enough cold air to drive down the snow levels to around 7,000 feet. Wednesday evening temps in the High Country will be in the mid to upper 20s and in the mid 40s for the Owens Valley. The High Country will have gusty conditions on Wednesday night with speeds in the 30-40 mph range and 60 mph over the Crest. The Owens Valley will have windy conditions and a slight chance of precipt on Wednesday night.

Outlook: Gusty conditions with a chance of snow in the High Country and over the Crest Thursday. The Owens Valley will have partly cloudy skies and a slight chance of rain on Thursday. Friday the trough will move east giving our area partly cloudy skies and cool temps through Sunday.

Current Conditions @ 0800: Lone Pine – 50.2F; NNW 4 G 7 MPH / Independence – 54.9F; N 4 G 7 MPH / Big Pine – N/A; NW 3 G 8 MPH / Bishop – 44.9F; NNW 2 G 5 MPH / Mt. Tom – 44.0F; NW 10 G 16 MPH / Rock Creek – 32.0F; WSW 2 G 5 MPH / Mammoth – 33.4F; NW 0 G 0 MPH/

Dennis ‘Matt’ Mattinson
Air Quality & Weather Specialist

User avatar
Founding Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:03 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by mountainLight » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:11 am

So if the snow drops are we going to loose the autumn color? :( This is my weekend to get up there, I hope i didn't wait to long.

User avatar
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:25 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Menlo Park, CA

Post by copeg » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:31 am

mountainLight wrote:So if the snow drops are we going to loose the autumn color? :( This is my weekend to get up there, I hope i didn't wait to long.
I was wondering the same thing as I was thinking of heading up too. I guess only time will tell. On the other side of the coin, there could be a nice dusting of snow.

User avatar
Topix Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:29 am
Experience: N/A
Location: Hell/ Los Angeles

Post by groperT » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 am

My wife and I are heading up to Cottonwood lakes for a week, starting Friday. We've been ready for this trip for a while now, and we just added crampons to our list.

Looking forward to some brisk weather! :friends

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests