Black Bear Attacks Man in Mariposa County

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

They are starting to get hungry or angry. Source: https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2015/08/ ... sa-county/
AUGUST 13, 2015
Media Contacts:
Kyle Orr, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8958
Lt. Chris Stoots, CDFW Law Enforcement, (530) 523-6720

Wildlife officials are investigating a bear attack that resulted in serious injuries early this morning in Mariposa County.

warden on site 1
A CDFW warden investigates on site where a black bear attacked a man this morning in Mariposa County.
The attack occurred in the town of Midpines, when the man stepped out of his house in the dark. A large black bear struck the man from behind, knocking the victim to the ground. The man fought the bear, and in the struggle sustained multiple puncture wounds and lacerations to his head, legs, arms, abdomen, hands and feet. Although injured, the man was able to get away from the animal and drive himself to the hospital, where he was treated and released later in the day.

California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers and USDA Wildlife Service personnel are jointly conducting an investigation. The bear was not in the vicinity when investigators arrived, but tracking dogs will be used to follow its scent. Due to the severity of the attack, and the need to collect forensic evidence from the bear, it will be humanely destroyed when found.

The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office and CDFW are advising residents in the 5000 block of Colorado Road in Midpines to be aware of their surroundings and keep an eye on children and pets. Should you encounter a bear in that area, do not approach it and call 911.

CDFW reminds residents to be bear aware, never leave trash outdoors and do not feed pets outdoors. In addition, all rural residents and recreationist should be mindful of nearby wildlife and potential risks of this type. Attacks on humans by wildlife remain uncommon but do occur on occasion. Basic safety and preventative actions greatly reduce the risk of attack.
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Black Bear Attacks Man in Mariposa County

Post by LightRanger »

That is super bizarre. First time I've heard of such a thing. Certainly around here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yeah. Didn't work out so well with that guy in Yellowstone NP and the grizzly. They euthanized that bear and took her cubs to rehab.

It's hungry time out there for them after the drought I guess.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Due to the severity of the attack, and the need to collect forensic evidence from the bear, it will be humanely destroyed when found.
Oh, how human, we intrude on these animals land, we put the bear down because it was moseying around his property, and got startled. We sentence humans to 15 years to life for murder, and life without the possibility of parole, for multiple murders. Why does the bear need to be put down, no one
died, where is the rational behind this? :thumbsdown:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maybe they know more about bear behavior after an human attack than we do? There are also no million dollar court fees to put down a bear like there are for a murderous "human."
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There are also no million dollar court fees to put down a bear like there are for a murderous "human."
Maybe lawyers should start representing bears (animals), pro bono, then maybe some of them would be looked upon as being more human. :)
Where is the outrage from groups like the Sierra Club, oh never mind, this would be to humane, and also they would not make millions of dollars on this. :\

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There are animal lawyers (remember fish v frog?) CBD does that. Bears are not endangered so you can't make money on those cases.

We actually do the same thing with dog attacks on humans. they sometimes get put down.

It's 1 bear; the last estimate in CA was 22,000. I don't think we have a problem, and they're on CDFW's hunting list anyway. They allot 1700 per season annually.

Still, apply common sense when you go outside, at night.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It's 1 bear; the last estimate in CA was 22,000. I don't think we have a problem, and they're on CDFW's hunting list anyway.
A hunters opinion Russ? We had wolves and grizzlies that were almost hunted to extinction, now since they are protected, their numbers have rebounded.
So because we have 22,000 bears, this ones life does not matter, their are 7.1 billion people on the planet, so can we apply that logic to humans too? Never mind, depending on who you are, and where you live, it already does.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice try, Mav. This stuff I post in this realm is factual. And It's from the point of view of wildlife mgmt. They make the call, not me.

And CA griz was hunted to extinction. Pretty sure we won't get them back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And CA griz was hunted to extinction
Yeah, meant in US.
They make the call, not me.
Darn, I though someone who has a condo on Styx would have some pull Russ. :p