Using DeLorme to get weather forecasts

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Using DeLorme to get weather forecasts

Post by austex »

martinleroux wrote:Hi all, I'm the guy that set up this service. Good to hear that people find it useful. Sorry about the bug with highs and lows getting mixed up. The NWS made some changes to their forecast data format earlier this month and my code got confused. I've made some changes on my side and it should be working properly now. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you notice anything else that looks strange. You can use the form at http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/contact.html, or email me at wx2inreach [at] gmail [dot] com.
As an InReach user I appreciate you guys monitoring sites such as this for info to better your product. Good P.R.! =D>
martinleroux
Topix Newbie

Post by martinleroux »

maverick wrote:Hi Martin, Welcome to HST! An intro would be welcomed, so we know who you are, do you represent DeLorme?
No, as CharlieW said I'm just a hobbyist. I'm not affiliated with DeLorme, the National Weather Service or any other forecast data provider. Here's a bit more info: http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/about.html.
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

Cool service. Honestly, Delorme should pay you, or give you some swag or something, because you're adding so much value to their product. Makes me more inclined to buy it. (Been thinking about it for a while and this makes it more likely.)
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

:nod:
LightRanger wrote:Cool service. Honestly, Delorme should pay you, or give you some swag or something, because you're adding so much value to their product. Makes me more inclined to buy it. (Been thinking about it for a while and this makes it more likely.)
I'll throw a few $ in his PP acct.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

So what's the advantage of sending a message to wx2inreach@gmail.com to get a weather (wx) report vs just using the built in wx icon on an InReach? I understand that the built in function counts as one message per use -- but the “wx now io” method also counts as one message when the reply comes back.

Is the advantage just that it's more customizable and can do things beyond just get the wx report for your current location? Is that the advantage?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

To answer my own question:

I spoke to Martin. He put together this service prior to InReach having a weather option. Now that InReach has a weather option, many people just use InReach's option. However, InReach just gives you info from DarkSky.net. With Martin's set up, you can get NWS info which in some cases may have a better algorithm for getting point forecasts.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Jim, I don't have an InReach but I've been read weather forecasts on a number of occasions by people carrying them. And I've noticed a kind binary nature to the quality of the forecasts. What you found probably explains that.
jms703
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jms703 »

I used this features on my last trip. Received a forecast for a 10% chance of precipitation. It should have said 100%. It rained heavily near Mineral King for about an hour and a half.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

jms703 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 am I used this features on my last trip. Received a forecast for a 10% chance of precipitation. It should have said 100%. It rained heavily near Mineral King for about an hour and a half.
Obviously the DeLorme is defective. Return it to REI!